Refigeration Basics

Why not set up some threads that deal with basic problems and their usual symptoms. eg. Shortage of refrigerant, I was taught that there are 8 symptoms specific to DX systems with TEV's installed. Many guys I have worked with could not name more than 4 or 5.

Other basics such as the definition of superheat or sub-cooling and how to check them. These could have dedicated sticky threads and perhaps these could be fixed so that replies could not be posted so that they were solely for research and not discussion.

Maybe this would help to stop the never ending discussion of certain fundamentals in other threads.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Refigeration Basics

Quote Originally Posted by Refrigerologist View Post

Other basics such as the definition of superheat or sub-cooling and how to check them. These could have dedicated sticky threads and perhaps these could be fixed so that replies could not be posted so that they were solely for research and not discussion..
    We have enough trouble now getting people to search the forum for answers, they always want somebody else to do it for them.

Even searching the web seems a struggle for some
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Other basics such as the definition of superheat or sub-cooling and how to check them. These could have dedicated sticky threads and perhaps these could be fixed so that replies could not be posted so that they were solely for research and not discussion.

Maybe this would help to stop the never ending discussion of certain fundamentals in other threads.
    OK, that sounds like a good idea....

BUT

Who's definitions should we use??

One interesting thing with all these threads are to find out just how many different views there are, even on the simplest tasks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    We have enough trouble now getting people to search the forum for answers, they always want somebody else to do it for them.

Even searching the web seems a struggle for some
    I couldn't agree more with his statement!

Ditto here, it drives me crazy when someone asks a question and they haven't bothered searching the site or even the web. They want someone else doing the work for them! And then complain the answer isn't specific enough.

OK Guys, I surrender, bad idea!

As for who's definitions, well that's obvious they would have been a 16 year olds, they know everything don't they?

OK Guys, I surrender, bad idea!

As for who's definitions, well that's obvious they would have been a 16 year olds, they know everything don't they?
    I use to know all the answers... then I discovered there were more questions.

My experience is just as you said already, people doesn't bother to search through the forums to get what they want. Still tho' many members experience problems using the search features, they don't know exactly what they're looking for and have problem spelling. Even if they spelled right there's no guarantee they'll find what they're looking for hence the topic text are mis-spelled. I've seen this from several boards trough time so I understand the reason why this is questioned.

The basic in my swedish forum is just what this topics starter asks for. I've put up a step-by-step refrigeration basics forum that is locked. I have used personal knowledge as well as, with permission of course, copyrighted material for these locked topics. I think this way the members will appreciate how easy it is to navigate trough the board.

My 2 cents,

BK
    Last edited by kaspersen; 26-03-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Spelling :p

Quote Originally Posted by kaspersen View Post
    My experience is just as you said already, people doesn't bother to search through the forums to get what they want. Still tho' many members experience problems using the search features, they don't know exactly what they're looking for and have problem spelling. Even if they spelled right there's no guarantee they'll find what they're looking for hence the topic text are mis-spelled. I've seen this from several boards trough time so I understand the reason why this is questioned.

The basic in my swedish forum is just what this topics starter asks for. I've put up a step-by-step refrigeration basics forum that is locked. I have used personal knowledge as well as, with permission of course, copyrighted material for these locked topics. I think this way the members will appreciate how easy it is to navigate trough the board.

My 2 cents,

BK
    It seems like a good idea to me, but others here know far more about this forum than I do, so I will bow to their wisdom.

Hi, Refrigerologist

Why not set up some threads that deal with basic problems and their usual symptoms. eg. Shortage of refrigerant, I was taught that there are 8 symptoms specific to DX systems with TEV's installed. Many guys I have worked with could not name more than 4 or 5.

Maybe a little help... in case of shortage of refrigerant in system....

1. Condensing pressure ................................ slightly decrease
    2. Evaporating pressure ............................. decrease
    3.Compression ratio ................................... increase
    4. Superheat ............................................ increase
    5. Sub cooling ......................................... decrease
    6. Specific vol. of suction vapor ................... increase
    7. Refrigerating effect ............................... decrease
    8. Suction temperature .............................. increase
    9. Discharge temp ..................................... increase .... hot oil ... compressor failure
    10. Thermal equivalent of compression work ..... slightly increase

No. 3 and No. 6 cause less refrigerant in circulation ... and result is decrease of cooling capacity

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I use to know all the answers... then I discovered there were more questions.
    Gary, is it the same the other side of the pond? Do your teenagers know it all as well?

It's a bummer hitting twenty and realising that all the younger kids know more than you do

Quote Originally Posted by Josip View Post
    Hi, Refrigerologist

Maybe a little help... in case of shortage of refrigerant in system....

1. Condensing pressure ................................ slightly decrease
    2. Evaporating pressure ............................. decrease
    3.Compression ratio ................................... increase
    4. Superheat ............................................ increase
    5. Sub cooling ......................................... decrease
    6. Specific vol. of suction vapor ................... increase
    7. Refrigerating effect ............................... decrease
    8. Suction temperature .............................. increase
    9. Discharge temp ..................................... increase .... hot oil ... compressor failure
    10. Thermal equivalent of compression work ..... slightly increase

No. 3 and No. 6 cause less refrigerant in circulation ... and result is decrease of cooling capacity

Best regards, Josip
    Josip, I am impressed! 10 out of 8! Fantastic!

Blog Entries

From some questions posted, sometimes is obvious that person who posted that question did not used either Google or tried to search this forum.
    Regarding sticky treads, I am for them.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Overall I think it is a sound idea but still maintain what I said earlier about lazy searchers.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

guylandenberger Guest

joined RE-forum today, hello to all!

Hi, guylandenberger

welcome to RE forums...

Quote Originally Posted by guylandenberger View Post
    joined RE-forum today, hello to all!
    Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Smile Re: Refigeration Basics

hi guys i thought its being busy not participating but realised now this site is a good one especially when you need somebody to help you out in difficult times i have been reading some of the forums they help in deed
    thanks everyone whose contributing and sponsoring this site to be what it is now!
    paul

For a newbie in the profession or less then say 4 or 5 years experience, I find that the problem with these kinds of web sites is the amount of different answers one is given on a possible solution to the problem. It takes at times quite a bit of sophisticated knowledge to discriminate between the good answers and the not so good ones. This business in liken to a doctor in that you may be given various answers to your problem but in the end it's you who has to make the decision based on your limited knowledge and the answers that seem to agree the most and there in lies the rub. Is the recipient astute enough to do the math so to speak?

Hi, i havent been on this site for too long and have probably asked questions that have arisen so far but I have tried to search for them, sometimes I find it a little difficult to navigate around the site ( believe me im not knocking this site in anyway,) but as it says above, I am just settling in!!!

I have problems with publishing a checklist of sorts. This is very close to training monkeys for repetitive tasks. Sure they might be able to do it, but will they understand it?

It's not fair to the customers to pay for this and it's not fair to the person doing the work because it removes the knowledge and experience from the equation.

It takes a least 4-5 years (as wambat mentioned) if not more to develop the making of a good service tech.

The industry needs better service techs, not more mediocre ones.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Mak_hync Guest

Refigeration Basics

Some of the earliest threads on this site are listings of basics, and discussions about them. You should be able to find them by searching for title "basics".

I published an article on the matter listing about 8 scenarios. The article was based on the TECH Method discovered by Gary Lloyd.

It's quite complicated though and it takes me a whole days lecture to explain.
    Only the dogmatist says he will never change his mind. We all know that some of our opinions are wrong but none of us know which they are for if we did then they just wouldn't be our opinions. - JS Mill.