Thread: Hello..

Hello..

Hello, my first post here. After reading several articles I think this would be my best of finding a solution. Or maybe someone has had the same problem. Are company has switched over the new glorious zgtf (zero gram trans fat) oil. Well this new oil plugs up are precool belt are blast freezer belt and all of the evaporator. Every thing we have tried has not worked to clean this gunk out of them and now we are losing are ability to freeze like we should. We have a 3800 ton system here. York and a Aero freezer. Anyone had this problem? If so what would you recommend to clean the evaps. belt with.

Re: Hello..

Quote Originally Posted by Poodzy View Post
    Hello, my first post here. After reading several articles I think this would be my best of finding a solution. Or maybe someone has had the same problem. Are company has switched over the new glorious zgtf (zero gram trans fat) oil. Well this new oil plugs up are precool belt are blast freezer belt and all of the evaporator. Every thing we have tried has not worked to clean this gunk out of them and now we are losing are ability to freeze like we should. We have a 3800 ton system here. York and a Aero freezer. Anyone had this problem? If so what would you recommend to clean the evaps. belt with.
    Welcome Poodzy

I am not very knowledgeable about the type of plant you are describing.

But are you saying the Oil that you have changed to flocks.
    And you need advise on how to clean up the system?

Have you now stopped using this oil??
    Grizzly

Grizzly,

I think Poodzy is talking about the oil used to fry his product, which is then put on a conveyor for cooling in the freezer.

The oil sounds like it is clogging up the belt and affecting air flow.

Poodzy, is the product dripping as it is placed on the belt coveyor?
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman View Post
    Grizzly,

I think Poodzy is talking about the oil used to fry his product, which is then put on a conveyor for cooling in the freezer.

The oil sounds like it is clogging up the belt and affecting air flow.

Poodzy, is the product dripping as it is placed on the belt conveyor?
    Oh! Silly Me!

Thanks for the explanation Iceman.
    Does that mean that all he really needs is a de-greaser?
    Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly
    Does that mean that all he really needs is a de-greaser?
    That's my guess since he is talking about zero trans fat oil. (unless compressors are worried about cholesterol buildup)

There may be something in his process which is causing this also. For instance, if his conveyor is picking up the product directly from the fryer then the oil is dripping off of the product and conveyor. After the oil starts to cool down just a little, it could start to congeal and block off the air flow too.

Thanks for the response.
    Yes, Due to the new goverment laws now in affect all oils have to be zero grams trans fat in the U.S. Due to its higher melting point (170degrees) it does not all get reclaimed so hence it is getting carried into are freezers. And now starts to plug the mesh belts on the freezers and precool belts. etc etc its just a mess.... Still am looking for something that will not harm the coils and yet get the slime build up off of them. Any help would be very help full.
    It is a food factory. Yes a simple degreaser we have tried, we have also tried multiple things to try and get it off. A aluminum cleaner, and about 10 various degreasers.
    Last edited by Poodzy; 16-03-2008 at 11:04 PM.

Is the oil in an aerosol form and entering the freezer through the conveyor doorway? If this is where the oil is transported into the freezer air stream then you might be able to greatly reduce it using air curtain on the conveyor doorway.

Then you still have the problem of the congealed oil on the belts. This one sounds like the real problem area.

No the oil is not in a aerosol. It is just being carried into the freezer by the product. Was just wondering if anyone would recommend a good aluminum/stainless cleaner.
    We currently have a air curtain up. We are really looking for a down day clean up type of chemical. Being this is the oil that we have to run, and we just need to figure out what to use to clean it.

Even with the precool belt wash on all the time it still makes the blast freezer a mess. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Last edited by Poodzy; 17-03-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: addition

I have a similar issue with contamination in my prefreeze coils and my mesh freezer belts, and I certainly feel your pain...

Until you can stop carrying the oil into the tunnel you are probably out of luck. Perhaps there is some way you can prechill your product enough to thicken the oil before it enters your tunnel to prevent "drippage" on your coils. You might look into some type of vacuum system to suck excess oil from the bottom of your belt prior to it entering the tunnel. We use a vacuum plenum beneath some of our freezer belts to remove moisture. It might help some.

As to cleaning your coils, you may have a real problem. Just consider the effort involved in removing bacon grease from a frying pan in your sink. Without hot water, good soap, and a scrub pad, cleaning grease is next to impossible. Now consider how the evaporator coils are staggered in the tube bundles and then add all of the cooling fins and mesh belts into the mix, and what do you have??? A big nightmare....

I freeze pasta part of the year... Think about cleaning pasta noodles and pieces from the coils....

Good luck to you!!!!

We currently have a precool section prior to the blast freezer. This plugging up is also bad becuase it causes the french fries to form into big sheets of ice when they exit the freezer. We have some new dry powder stuff that we will be trying this next tuesday on the cip system. I hope it works.

Its not dripping on the coils its getting sucked off the fries i believe. I know the feeling of cleaning fries out of the evaporators. What has been happening is part of the belt will get a plugged so well the air has to go someplace and now it blows out the line onto the walkways. Its nice!
    Last edited by Poodzy; 26-04-2008 at 09:59 PM.

I've got no idea how well this would work in your situation but the stainless steel DX bulk milk tanks i work on are cleaned with a chemical made by Deosan called TC86. Its an alkaline chemical and will clean dried on milk fat very effectivly. One second hand tank i moved had been left with 500L of milk in it for a couple of years and the residue was cleaned out by running the wash system with this chemical and extra hot water for three hours without having to get in and clean the tank manualy. I have seen it being used with a steam pressure washer to clean milking parlours before inspection by the dairy companies.

Jon