Thread: New guy

New guy

Hi all,

I am a grad student in the states at Ohio University and currently have an interest in refrigeration systems. I've always enjoyed thermodynamics and i believe that it is a field that i want to pursue, especially considering the new design possibilities as R-134a may be phased out (at least Europe has the right idea).

As an undergrad, i learned that i was in the Silicon Valley of Free-Piston Stirling Engines and Coolers. I am actually designing a heat pipe with a Stirling Cooler (from Global Cooling) and CO2 as the working fluid.

I found this website and it looks like i can learn a lot about refrigeration in industry, and not out-dated thermodynamic textbooks.

I really like the potential that Stirling Coolers have, especially concerning cryocooler technology. It's crazy how a large cascade system can be transformed into about the size of a shoebox via a Stirling Cooler.

Looking forward to this site to browse from time to time to further my knowledge......and who knows land a job that i'd like.

Re: New guy

Welcome scrapen!!

Hope you enjoy the site

Welcome to the forum Scrapen

Nice to have another new member on board.

Any chance you can elaborate on your project a little for those of us who aren't so enlightened?

Welcome Scrapen

frank,

To get an idea what i'm doing, i'm basically building a refrigerator. A heat pipe is a tube with a working fluid that transports heat from one place to another. (you can A) cool something down or B) Heat something up (typically using ground heat in lower climate areas)) They are popular in computer cooling or electronic in general applications.

If you are unfamiliar with a Stirling Cooler, just look up companies like Global Cooling and Sunpower. A stirling cooler is severely limited to it's cooling capacity. You can expand the cooling capacity by adding a heat pipe. The cooler head acts as a condenser, whereas the tubing essentially becomes an evaporator. The Stirling Coleman Portable Cooler uses this technology. Also what i am doing is already implemented in a home refrigerator (by GE) which also may still be the most efficient refrigerator in the world (and it's basically in a closet).

Anyway i will be applying varying heat loads at the evaporator, and will see if the Stirling Cooler can maintain 0C (well insulated can lift 100W at 0C). I am also experimenting with varying qualities of CO2 at a pressure of approx 7MPa or so in the heat pipe. Should be a fun experience and i will look for advice in these next few months from all u refrigeration guru's.

Welcome and I look forward to your posts