scoobey Guest

Unhappy Beko Fridge Freezer Bubbles & Does Not Get Cold!!!!

Hi!
    I have a Beko CDA 647 fridge freezer that's absolutely useless. I've had sporadic issues with the freezer compartment totally thawing my food (about 4 instances since we bought it in June 2004), but we put it down to the frost free functionality, and maybe us not shutting the door properly.
    Well, the freezer has now pretty much died!!! It's not getting cold at all (fridge and freezer). The compressor is on constantly and appears to be working but gets REALLY hot (almost too hot to touch). There is also a constant bubbling sound which I've never noticed before. I'm tempted to replace the timing relay (?) just in case it's stuck on a defrost cycle for some reason. I've turned it off for now as I'm really worried it'll over-heat and cause damage.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Blog Entries

Re: Beko Fridge Freezer Bubbles & Does Not Get Cold!!!!

You cant do nothing to resolve that by yourself. You need a service technician who will inspect that fridge, found cause of trouble and repair it. If that is not economical, you should consider buying new one.

You could only done this. Clean back of fridge of dust and leave it two days to defrost properly. If it works OK after that, you still need to fix defrost function of that fridge if it have one, or if it don't have one, you need to adopt some defrosting strategies from user manual

scoobey Guest

Thanks for replying nike123!!!
    Just to give you some more information - I've called an engineer and he seems to think it is the compressor. He's advised me it'll need a new one, with a recharge at a cost of £130.
    Does this sound expensive and the right diagnosis?

Hi Scoobey.

A brand new fridge/freezer is about 250 quid for the same as you already have.
    It all depends if you are happy to pay 130 quid for a repair or buy a new one for 250.

£130 sounds about right but the engineer wont fit a compressor for the fun of it,if he can help it.
    If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Damo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scoobey View Post
    Does this sound expensive and the right diagnosis?
    Expensive or not i can not tell you, because I live and work in Croatia.
    Right diagnosis? He has been near the fridge, and I am few thousands km away with no senses and only with few informations gathered by amateur person.

I'm still only training in this trade, but from what you have said it sounds like the unit is short of gas causing the compressor to work harder as there is not enough absorbtion of heat to reach the desired temperature.

Harold T Paul Guest

Sounds like it needs charged

Blog Entries

I'm still only training in this trade, but from what you have said it sounds like the unit is short of gas causing the compressor to work harder as there is not enough absorbtion of heat to reach the desired temperature.
    Sounds like it needs charged
    Hey guys!
    How could you say that, if no one has given to you any temperature and pressure reading? And, service technician who has already been on site, have other diagnose, but at least, he was there.
    And, if he is dishonest, he would first try to charge that fridge before change of compressor, because, his chance to get job is higher with lover price of fixing.
    Last edited by nike123; 14-03-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    Hey guys!
    How could you say that, if no one has given to you any temperature and pressure reading? And, service technician who has already been on site, have other diagnose, but at least, he was there.
    Well, Usually when you have flashing in the sight glass of a unit in indicates excessive load or low charge so the bubbling noises indicate a low charge (unless the temperature inside the fridge has drastically changed).
    Due to the low charge of the refrigerant the compressor has to do extra work thus it may now need replacing.

Of course, I may be wrong but this is what I have been taught.....

Blog Entries

I have old fridge (35 years old OBODIN-Cetinje with Danfoss compressor) in my old house who constantly emits bubbling sound, and works perfectly all these years.

Fair enough, I'm not looking for an argument but he has said the bubbling sound was never there before and low charge would cause the symptoms he described.
    If you beleive otherwise, please tell me and i'll put it down to learning something new!

Blog Entries

I don't believe anything, because it is to little data to draw any founded conclusion.