Chigo E3 error fixed but

Hi yall, first of all, I've already made a search but to no avail.

I've fixed the error with a NTC 5kohm @ 25 degrees (the same 5k@25 as per chigo troubleshooting manual) thermistor at the cooling coil. The temperature setting is somehow messed up. I've to set it to way below 21 for it to cycle on and off. If i set it above that 21, the compressor will only turn on for a short while.

My question is I, why is there a two thermistor ? one is on the cooling fins (i believe this is called room sensor right ?) and the other is encapsulated in copper tubing soldered to the copper cooling coil which I've replaced.

What does the thermistor do ? also what's the function of the one on the cooling fins ? Which on of these controls the switching on or off of the compressor ?

Thanks...

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Chigo E3 error fixed but

Without model numbers we are limited in our responses to you.

You are correct, the sensor by the coil face is monitoring the return air temperature and will control the on/off function of the unit.

The sensor attached to the pipework is normally there to monitor pipe temperatures and thereby control safety switching, ie, too cold or too hot, if a heat pump.

If you have the manual then have you checked your replacement sensor is giving the correct signal at all temperatures?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

thanks Brian... the chigo model no is BAC-901WCG.
    The troubleshooting manual is downloadable from their website and only states that the both thermistors should be at 5kohm when temp is 25deg Celsius.

I ordered thermistor from RS components and replaced the broken unit which is the on on the cooling coil.

So it is the one on the cooling fin that is affecting the on and off of the comp, I think I'd have to relocate sensor. Right now it's exactly on the fins. I'd have to pull it a little bit and hide it behind the mounting plastic tab.

Will update here on it goes... thanks

RichT Guest

Hi, interesting reading, I have exactly the same fault and narrowed it down to the metal probe sensor on the inside unit. My error code was L1 though. Have you or anyone found a replacement thermistor that will work ok.
    I know it is 5K at 25 degrees metal probe type.

Thanks RichT

what do you guys use for login to the chigo site? I had a good login last year but my rep from chigo has quit the company and I no longer have access to the service information...
    -Christopher

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
    what do you guys use for login to the chigo site? I had a good login last year but my rep from chigo has quit the company and I no longer have access to the service information...
    -Christopher
    http://www.chigogroup.com/en/servicemanual.asp#