WannaBeInverter Guest

Is it worthwhile installing a Panasonic CS E12CKP, or is it ancient?

Hi cool- and warm headed people!

I've been lucky enough to get a Panasonic CS E12CKP for free a month ago . I haven't installed it yet, as I've got second thoughts about its age.. The system has never left the boxes, but I am worried that it might be a waist of money to have it installed, as the technology moves pretty fast.

Any ideas on this? I think the COP value is 3.7.

Also would it be hard to install? I'm handy with tools, but would for sure stay away from trying to pressurize the system myself...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Brgds,

Kristian
    Wanna-Be-Inverter

Re: Is it worthwhile installing a Panasonic CS E12CKP, or is it ancient?

Depends on a lot of factors.

You got it for free - That's a big bonus.
    You will have to pay someone to install it - Slightly negative.

What type of heating have you got at the moment?
    Are you intending to use it for cooling in the summer?
    (If you do this will offset all savings)
    How much do you pay for electricity in Denmark?
    How much do you pay for the energy used for your current heating system?
    Is the layout of your house suitable for this unit?

Re the install, don't...Get your local A/C or fridge guy to do it, ask him (her?) for a discount as you would act as his helper during the job (hanging the units, drilling holes and so on).
    He (or she) should also be able to advice you if your home is suitable for this type of heating.

Good luck.

P.S. If you get back with the figures mentioned above, we will make some calculations of possible savings for you.

The E12CKP isn't that old here, so it's not an ancient unit. I think they were installing them here in australia 2 years ago. Only the dkr and ekr have been released since down here. If it's on r410a I'd install it, I can't remember what refrig the ckr is on though. I wouldn't install it if it was on r22.
    Last edited by paul_h; 04-03-2008 at 08:44 AM.

Does it have stepper valve or capilary tube?

WannaBeInverter Guest

Thanks a lot for the guidance so far!

After listing the numbers below, my stomach tells me that there could be some quite significant savings..:

• Our house is 155 mē ~ 1650 sq feet (60% of the space downstairs the remaining upstairs)
    • Downstairs we are using a stove and a Toshiba RAS13SKH-ES heat pump (installed in '99)
    • Upstairs is heated solely by electric radiators (1kWh of heat = 1kWh of electricity).
    • We have lived in the house since November last year, and have so far used 7350 kWh (heading towards 17000 kWh annually).
    • Price per kWh in our area is DKK 2,0 ~ 0,1 GBP
    • I would install the unit in the stairway, blowing hot air upstairs, and use vents in all rooms to make the air circulate.
    • We will not use the heat pump for air conditioning (we have got high ceilings, and should be able to live through the Danish summer ;-)).
    The Toshiba heat pump is not being used that often, as we easily can keep the temperature up downstairs with the stove.

Thank you very much for your time and input here!

Best regards,

Kristian

Kristian,

Electric radiators......

The answer is INSTALL IT.

The more open plan your upstairs is the more saving you will see, if it's not open plan but you can get good airflows then you will still see some savings.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeInverter View Post
    • Upstairs is heated solely by electric radiators (1kWh of heat = 1kWh of electricity).
    Even if the unit is old and the layout isn't perfect, you should be able to get a minimum of 2kW of heat for every 1kW of electricity from your heatpump.

Best thing you can do now is to find a friendly engineer to install it for you

WannaBeInverter Guest

Hi Viking,

I had a local cooler guy out, and I've stroke a deal with him. So tonight I'll be drilling the holes and installing the brackets.

And on Thursday phase one of the heat project can be completed - installing the heat pump. Then I'll worry about hauling down the rads in their own good time..

Thanks again!

Brgds,

Kristian