Charging Pentane

Hello All,

Just curious. I have to charge pentane in ultralow freezers prior to refrigerant charge. I am curious how others do it. At Sanyo training they used a Dial-A-Charge as a receptacle, placed it on a scale and charged it by weight into a deep vaccum. I have an old Rheem manual that suggests an amount larger than you need placed in a glass jar on the scale and a cap tube "straw" is used to draw it up from a deep vaccum. The latter is the method I use but it is cumbersome. Before I purchase a charging cylinder does anyone have a better method?

Re: Charging Pentane

I use a measuring jar, I just draw 60ml up through a pressure coupler.

Sanyo's generally are a pain in the ass to work on. Have you saw any of the new machines that has battery fault?

I have the unlock code if you want it - but I guess if you've been to sanyo you will already know it.

The units I have been working on specify a pressure to charge from vacuum. I use R290 propane only. I'm sure Sanyo tech support can give you a pressure to charge before R23 or R508B.

k narasimha Guest

1) how to charge n PENTANE in ultra low temp freezer.

Revco a part of Rheem in the old days? used to describe the Pentane charge with a capillary as mentioned and also feed it through a filter dryer.
    They told that the Pentane was very "hygroskopic" and would contain a lot of water if placed in an open jar. Not sure about that, but they did it that way.
    It has to be at least 10 years ago that most makers of ULT units changed to R290 propane. The ones I work for did that for more than 25 Years ago and never regret that I think. What which can be a concern is ( if )static charge of the next gas R23/R508A-B or similar. The partial pressure of the R290 would make a less amount of the next due to your manifold would be at Abs 0,3 to 1,0 Bar before the main charge. To be correct, it would be good to know at what vacuumlevel the system get by the Pentane way so you could add propane to the same level. If not, the most systems I know of go from vacuum to -20hg so that charge does not influence to much. Earlier it was a full 1 Bar of charge