Thread: Hi everyone.

saemaru Guest

steam turbine driven screw compressor for ice builder

Hi everyone.

Now I have a problem. My customer asked me about steam turbine driven screw comp for ice builder. I know about steam turbine driven chiller or gas engine driven compressor but i have no idea about steam turbine.

My customer use it at power plant

Is it possible? If it is possibe, pls let me know maker or seller. thank you.
    Last edited by saemaru; 12-02-2008 at 06:32 AM.

Re: Hi everyone.

Steam turbine drives are not that difficult, but you do have some special considerations. Will you be direct connected to the screw or running through a gear box.

You can not just slam open a steam valve and take the unit up to speed. You will have to slow roll the turbine and warm it before you can run it. In order to slow roll the turnine, you will need to keep the compressor lubricated, assuming you are direct comnnected to the turbine (ie no clutch). I avoid the clutch as it is just another item to maintain and subject to failure.

You also have to make sure that the compressor is unloaded until you have the turbine up to speed and operating...then load the compressor. After that you can go on turbine speed control. Also need to make sure that the compressor has oil supply during coast down.

Largest steam turbine I have done had a 3600 RPM direct connected Howden 321MM Howden compressor. I believe the power was a bit over 2200 BHP. Controls were provided by Rosemont transmitters and the customers DCS (distributive control system).

Since you are running the lube oil pump during the slow roll, you need to make sure that the oil will not pocket and flood the compressor.

Your best bet is to contact one of the major screw compressor supplied such as Mycom, Howden, Frick or FES Systems (GEA).

Ken

saemaru Guest

Re: Hi everyone.

Thank you very much about your assistance. I consider and don't forget your idea. Thanks.