Hybrid View

Re: Single screw compressor

My past experience with a Hall single screw was not good. The machines had limited range of capacity and efficiency was not good for lower temperature applications. On ammonia we had bad star seal problems and once that was fixed, bearings last hardly more than a year in ammonia medium temp service.

I have sold against the Vilter machine and they make sure you see the success stories. I found plenty of non-success stories which they are very quiet about.

One plant, after 3 years of failures, had the compressor set removed from the skid and replaced it with a conventional twin rotor screw. The machine was crashing every 6 months to maybe a year.

One of the Cool Compression installations had such oil carry over problems, the machine could not operate more than 2 days before having to add oil. After several repair attempts, Vilter finally did some work inside the separator and go the oil carry over under control. I will say that the machine was very quiet though.

The Vilter distributors are very loyal to the single screw. But for every "success" story they publish, I have found more than one failure.

I've been involved with large industrial screws for 30 years now and the twin rotor screw is the only way to go. While the single screw design is interesting, it has not proven itself well in the field.

Re: Single screw compressor

Hi Energy,
    I did contact and buy one HS 2022 a year ago as a replacement. For open drive they have two new series - HS 2000(2024, 2028, 2031, 2035) and HS 4200, with swept volume from 508 (HS 4221) to 2486 m3/h(2035), I think they're more suitable to medium/high temp. app. because of liquid injection for cooling and efficiency(for ex. McQuay chiller). You have a problem with a controller, it's better to contact the controller supplier (maybe Eliwell or Danfoss,...)