safe handling renewal

Just wondering if any of you guys know if my C&G safe handling certificste is still valid?

I passed this in 2001, I have also passed it in 1992 - I always thought the city and guilds didn't go out of date, only ask due to the F gas regs

should i just renew it anyways?

Re: safe handling renewal

I had a circular from Space Air yesterday that said we all have to retrain over the next 12 months or so (can't remember the exact time but it is short) to achieve the C & G 2079, under new EU legislation recently agreed.
    Maybe Argus can elaborate.

well there was a bit of discussion at our office today, apparently all Refrigeration Engineers in the UK have to sit a competency test in order to trade - not sure if there's any truth in this.

I had a quick look for c&g 2079 and I can't find any info - is this just a refrigerants handling certification?

I think you can just send your card and some money to Acrib to get a refrigerant handling card that doesn't need renewing every three years. What we will have to do for the F gas regs is another matter.

Guys
    as far as I know there has not been a decission made as to the 2078 or any further qualifications needed under FGas. As I have previously stated it is my opinion after studying the FGas requirements as far as proof of competency and I cannot see why any engineer who has an NVQ level two or equivalent and a 2078 and brazing qualification then that is it and no further training will be needed until the rules change again.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Guys
    as far as I know there has not been a decission made as to the 2078 or any further qualifications needed under FGas. As I have previously stated it is my opinion after studying the FGas requirements as far as proof of competency and I cannot see why any engineer who has an NVQ level two or equivalent and a 2078 and brazing qualification then that is it and no further training will be needed until the rules change again.

Ian
    Thanks Pooh. All this we have to we don't have to is / was scaring a lot of us myself included.
    So I gues it's wait and see eh!
    A Differant Bear!

Well, I received a circular from Space Air the other day outlining the recent European agreement that stated - all UK fridge engineers would have to retrain over the next 12 months to obtain the new C&G 2079. Apparently, training is likely to take a bout 4 hours per engineer.
    Any comments Argus?

There is a lot of speculation at the moment.
    G&G 2079 is in the pipeline but not yet completed.
    The EU requirements may be delayed to allow time for the additional training and qualifications to take place.
    UK requirements state engineers must have a current refrigerant handling qualification which is either C&G 2078 or CITB taken within the last 3 years. This is required from last November.
    C&G2078 will be replaced, CITB is renewable every 3 years.
    Last edited by pendlesteve; 06-05-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: missed a bit