Thread: Here is a tip.

smalltownguy Guest

Here is a tip.

Hello everyone. this is a pretty cool site, It has already helped me out of a bind. But I have a tip for all you refers or ac guys. If you have soldering to do on any refrigeration system, make sure all of the refrigerant is completely out of the system. I have seen some guys burning refrigerant like there is no tomorrow, we have enough bad stuff to breath in every day without breathing in phosgene gas(cancer). The way to make sure all of the refrigerant is out of the system is to let your recovery unit run to about 10 inches of vacuum, valve the system off, if the pressure still rises and there are no leaks in the system, there is still refrigerant in the system, run the recovery unit again, you may have to repeat this process more than once. If you have a sight glass on on your compressor, check for boiling refrigerant, if bubbling, you still have refrigerant in the system. If your evaporator is in a cold location, this process could take a while. Anyway hope this saves some of you new guys some health problems. Soldering will be a much more pleasant experience. If it is impossible to get all of the gas out of the system, a breathing apparatus would be an option in non ventilated areas, if the area is ventilated, use an organic vapor cartridge on your half mask. Good luck out there, and be safe, nobody but you are responsible to maintain your health. If someone tells you the job took too long because you are using proper procedures, look for another job, there are some people who actually do care about their employees.

Re: Here is a tip.

Hi, smalltownguy

..welcome to RE forums...

Quote Originally Posted by smalltownguy View Post
    Hello everyone. this is a pretty cool site...... Good luck out there, and be safe, nobody but you are responsible to maintain your health........
    Thanks, nice said...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Thumbs up Re: Here is a tip.

Hello everyone. this is a pretty cool site, It has already helped me out of a bind. But I have a tip for all you refers or ac guys. If you have soldering to do on any refrigeration system, make sure all of the refrigerant is completely out of the system. I have seen some guys burning refrigerant like there is no tomorrow, we have enough bad stuff to breath in every day without breathing in phosgene gas(cancer). The way to make sure all of the refrigerant is out of the system is to let your recovery unit run to about 10 inches of vacuum, valve the system off, if the pressure still rises and there are no leaks in the system, there is still refrigerant in the system, run the recovery unit again, you may have to repeat this process more than once. If you have a sight glass on on your compressor, check for boiling refrigerant, if bubbling, you still have refrigerant in the system. If your evaporator is in a cold location, this process could take a while. Anyway hope this saves some of you new guys some health problems. Soldering will be a much more pleasant experience. If it is impossible to get all of the gas out of the system, a breathing apparatus would be an option in non ventilated areas, if the area is ventilated, use an organic vapor cartridge on your half mask. Good luck out there, and be safe, nobody but you are responsible to maintain your health. If someone tells you the job took too long because you are using proper procedures, look for another job, there are some people who actually do care about their employees.
    Smalltownguy.
    Your sentiments are appreciated. But I must point out that anyone "Soldering" any refrigeration joints is a plumber and not a Fridge Engineer.
    I presume you actually mean Brazing or at least I hope you do?
    Grizzly

Re: Here is a tip.

Welcome to Re,

When I was new to this profession, and performed that task for the first time, I nearly died, luckily i was able to escape with my life and merely broke my ankle from plugning 13 feet off a scaffold to escape the phosgene gas.

Thanks for the advise on brazing safety, but it would seem you left out purging the dry nitrogen part as this is the cleaning agent used to keep the inside lines clean of carbonization and oxidization that can form inside the lines when performing these tasks.

Regards A-Z