Quote Originally Posted by chillyblue View Post
Subcooling
i know how it happens how to read & measure it, but i'm just not convienced that i can or do experience it.

question 1
i have always been told that to drain a condensor properly you need to locate the liquid receiver inlet lower than the condenser outlet.
if the above is not the case you will reduce the condensing surface area, increasing you head pressure and also increase subcooling.

Question 2
Most condensing units have vertical condensers with the liquid receiver inlet valves half way up the condensing surface, with the pipework running down to the base of the unit and then back up to the receiver inlet valve, Nice liquid trap!!!!!
does this mean that the condenser would have to be halve full before liquid starts to enter the liquid receiver??? if so thats a 50% reduction of the condensing surface.

question 3
To obtain subcooling (in a standard condenser not one with a subcooling circuit) liquid must sit in the condenser and be 100% liquid, ( if there is any vapour present the vapour needs to condense before the liquid can subcool). for liquid to sit in the condenser there must be no flow or the liquid receiver is full.

Perhaps i'm looking too deep!!!!

your advice and help would be appriciated

CB
Chillyblue

Question One.
It is the pressure difference across the metering device that causes the liquid to flow from the condenser not gravity.
Question Two.
See the answer to question one.
Question Three.
As the liquid is cooled below its saturation temperature by the cooling medium it has got to become subcooled, if there is a sight glass fitted and it is clear you have subcooled liquid.

I think you are getting confused by thinking the liquid moves by gravity rather than due to the pressure difference across the metering device.

Ian