Hi, Tony

Welcome to RE forums...

Quote Originally Posted by tonytb View Post
    good morning

I am pissed off with my fridge breaking down,

can you inform me if I can take a course/courses in repairing of fridges

thanks

Tony
    Of course you can , but where and when you must decide by yourself...and more important is if you can find it in your area....try to google for it...

for your safety kindly ask you do not attempt to repair your fridge by yourself because you can injure yourself or maybe some one else.....better to call professional service..

....NHF, please.....

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Re: COUSES in REFRIGERATION

Hi Tony, what kind of fridge ....? house fridge? supermarket? or transport unit ?

Are you self employed or working for some company or other business area.?

Maybe tell the forum a little more background, then they may be better able to advise a COURSE of action ( pun intended)

best regards
    T-P
    Remember what Augustus once said:
    "festina lente" - make haste, slowly!

denjoe81 Guest

That's how I got into it. Got pissed at spending $$$ on it. Now I make $$$ doing it!

Smile Re: COUSES in REFRIGERATION

Quote Originally Posted by tonytb View Post
    good morning

I am pissed off with my fridge breaking down,

can you inform me if I can take a course/courses in repairing of fridges

thanks

Tony
    Hi I,m more than happy to wellcome you to the ref familly. I think you can join and become a good ref tech if you have an eletrical background. Again I say wellcome and goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by denjoe81 View Post
    That's how I got into it. Got pissed at spending $$$ on it. Now I make $$$ doing it!
    That's how I learnt to fix cars, I got pissed off at paying mechanics. One bill I got was for $2k, the car still had to be towed from there as it didn't run. I fixed it at home with friends in 30mins. They were paid to fit new carbies to it, instead just charged me a heap of money and then told me the carbies I supplied were stuffed.
    Turns out the distributer died, now I drove it there so it wasn't delivered like that.
    I'm not blaming them for killing the dizzy, but if I could think outside just the "fitting the carbies" job and check everything and find a problem in 30min, what was I paying them for?

Second job, dyno tune an engine conversion and fit gearbox (the gearbox with the conversion was a dud). Took them six months, the box they fitted had a whine because the main bearing was stuffed, they blew the turbo, and I never even got the dyno done properly (their tuner quit duriing that six months of them stuffing around), so it only had basic mapping of the EFI down, another $2k down the drain.

All said and done though, me being my own motor mechanic only needs basic hand tools. To the thread starter/OP:

Firstly, refrigeration tools cost way more so might not be that economical, maybe find a better fridgey to fix all your stuff than spend $1000-2000 on a new tool kit.

Secondly, most refrigeration breakdowns are electrical, I don't know what the laws are like in your area, but that's normally a more difficult one to be qualifed in. I doubt any short courses would give authority to rewire stuff.

Thirdly, a short course? I did the standard 4 year apprenticeship and I didn't learn much at all from the courses. Most of the learning is in the field, experience is the great teacher in this trade, how many times do you want to experience a breakdown in your own stuff while you're learning?

I don't want to offend anyone wanting to learn, if you think you can, and have the right gear and want to learn, go for it. That's what I did with my own cars because I plan to maintain them all the time and I had a genuine interest in them, (almost did a mechanical apprenticeship instead of the refrigeration apprenticeship). But if you want to fix one fridge because it keeps breaking down, and expect to be able to do it after a "short course", you are better off finding a good repairer. One that will explain things to you well so you can minimise future problems, and one that will do the job properly.