50Hz vs. 60Hz, okay to run at slower frequency?

Hi gang,

I'm looking to have equipment shipped from the States to New Zealand. Here our current runs at 230/240 @ 50Hz. That 50Hz thing is a real bummer, except when you're watching PAL .

I've contacted some people over here that tell me running refrigeration equipment at 50Hz is going to make the units run about 10% hotter (this is using a transformer)... I would like any opinions regarding whether or not I should be concerned about this.

Thanks in advance... please ask if you need clarifications.

You should be able to acquire equipment built for 50HZ. When inquiring or specifying equipment, just include the requirement for 50HZ and whatever voltage.

Hey Herefishy...

Thanks for the input... I'm currently looking at some heavy-duty "blast freezers" from Master-Bilt, but they won't alter the units unless I order about 50 of them (!)... I'm really not sure what that's all about.

If anybody knows a good company to deal with that manufactures cabinets capable of getting temps down to -40 then please let me know. The unit I'm looking for is similar to the Master-Bilt IHC-48.

Thanks in advance...

J

'm looking to have equipment shipped from the States to New Zealand. Here our current runs at 230/240 @ 50Hz. That 50Hz thing is a real bummer, except when you're watching PAL .
    Please. What is PAL?

I've contacted some people over here that tell me running refrigeration equipment at 50Hz is going to make the units run about 10% hotter (this is using a transformer)... I would like any opinions regarding whether or not I should be concerned about this.
    Are we talking about self-contained glass door freezers? Is the transformer you are referring to a buck and boost application, such as an auto-transformer the manufacturer is applying to compensate for the different frequency?

Shucks. I started out with an answer, and got tangled up in questions.

What do you think people are saying when thay say something runs about 10% hotter?

The box?
    The condenser?
    The motors?
    The compressor?
    All of the above?

I will leave off "none of the above."

PAL is the type of TV signal we get here in the UK as opposed to your NTSC signal - the frequency of the rate the screen refreshes per second.

Hi pezagent,

I called Bally and they said that their blast freezers are available in 50Hz

http://www.ballyrefboxes.com/products/northwind.htm

...but after the fact, I see you are looking for an ice cream hardening cabinet (blast freezer is different from hardening cabinet).... hmmmmm, let's see

Norlake provides -25F ice cream cabinets in 50hz

http://www.norlake.com/056394.pdf

Last edited by herefishy; 13-05-2003 at 02:40 PM.

herefishy, i have to say you're one source of helpful information... what would I do without ya? Thanks! I have to say it's been difficult obtaining help here in New Zealand as when I tell people what I want they act like I've got two heads... here's the response I got from Master-Bilt when I inquired about their machines:

I apologize for the delay in responding as I have been doing some research
    for you. As for the IHC case. They will work but will have about 15% less
    capacity running on 50 hz. Since they are very heavy duty anyway, I think
    they will work good for you if your store is under 80F. The DD-88 will also
    work on 50hz and have 15% less capacity but the light will not work. You
    can source a ballast locally and solve this problem. I hope this helps.
    Kenny Owen
    Engineering Manager
    By capacity I'm not sure what he means so I'll have to write back... kind of like when somebody says "it" runs 10% hotter I guess.

The thing that scares me about running equipment at different frequencies is this: one of my competitors has recently imported some equipment (dipping cabinet) in from Italy, and it doesn't work properly--one side of the cabinet is colder than the other so the ice cream is either too soft or too hard to serve properly. So thanks for the links, I'll check them out per usual and let you know what happens.

Oh yeah, in answer to Dan's question... like Frank says, it's the video system used in the UK and here in New Zealand, which scans lines differently than NTSC, so if a DVD is formatted for the US, we can't watch it unless we have dual-setting TVs. Which is also a pain, because right now I have a huge DVD collection I brought in from the States which I can't watch until I upgrade my set. Bummer.

Thanks again guys...

Hi pezagent

Most DVD players can be chipped to play multi region. You can get the codes from the web and you use the hand held remote to convert them. I expect Dabit could give you more info on this as he seems quite knowledgable on electronics.

Frank

(off topic)

Originally posted by frank
    Hi pezagent

Most DVD players can be chipped to play multi region. You can get the codes from the web and you use the hand held remote to convert them. I expect Dabit could give you more info on this as he seems quite knowledgable on electronics.

Frank
    Hi Frank...

Yeah we have a multi-region DVD player... that's not so much a problem as the NTSC-PAL conversion... like I said, until we can get a multi-scan TV, all of my DVDs are NTSC and won't play on our TV at present...

Originally posted by pezagent
    By capacity I'm not sure what he means so I'll have to write back... kind of like when somebody says "it" runs 10% hotter I guess.
    By that, he means that you lose 10% to 15% of the cooling capacity !!

You will find a 50hz machine......

By the way, pezagent, I suggest you go to Baskin Robbins, and ask what brand of hardening cabinet they have in the back room (buy some ice cream of course, to encourage the staff to provide the information ). I service a Baskin Robbins or two, and they often have hardening cabinets for preparing their ice cream cakes, what-have-you.

Last edited by herefishy; 22-05-2003 at 03:35 PM.

Yeah, 10-15% of capacity is quite a loss, I don't know if I'd want to lose that much on a small box, in an application like this. It could really effect the process adversely.

In the case of the dipping cabinet, has the problem been isolated to the frequency/capacity loss?