K805sc1 Guest

Are there 2 basic types of fridge freezers

Can some one more capable than me & the dumb shop assistants help me please. I think there are two basic types of fridge freezers but need it confirmed :-
    1 - Uses a split circuit that allows refrigerant to chill freeze the freezer comp & another up the back of the fridge to chill this compartment.
    2 - All of the refrigerant cycle is in the freezer compartment & air is then ducted via a fan & regulator into the fridge compartment.

Am I close??

Re: Are there 2 basic types of fridge freezers

Yes, you have units that have two evaporators, one in the fridge, one in the freezer.
    And you have the more basic models, which just have an evaporator in the freezer and air is ducted and blown into the fridge. With the fridge temperature regulated by a damper than closes off the airflow.

K805sc1 Guest

Thanks Paul.

My old Fridge Freezer had a gutter within the fridge unit that allowed condenced water to run off & evaporate on the top of the motor. My new fridge dosnt appear to have any refrigerant cycle in the fridge area & simply relys on air ducted from the freezer (this is the more modern design according to the shop assistants encountered so far). Unfortunatly the fridge area is up to 20 deg C whilst the freezer wrks ok. Possibly a blockage in the duct with ice but this was discounted by the recent visit by the rep. So I'm going to return & buy another & I think I'll go for one that dosnt simply rely on ducted air.

Horrible system and I've had nothing but problems with the ducted units in the large side by sides or the upside down style.
    Standard small ones seem OK though (with the fridge at the bottom).
    If the system has to blow cold air up (upside down style) or deal with a very large high humidity fridge side (large side by sides), the ducted systems don't seem very good.
    But a standard fridge under 500L with the freezer at the top and the cold air dropping down seem to work OK in the ducted style.
    So if getting a large side by side, always get a twin evap model, if getting a smaller fridge, dont get an upside down model.
    Getting a twin evap fridge is impossible these days unless you're getting a 500L+ side by side though anyway.
    So if you go into a store wanting a regular 300L fridge and demanding twin evap, you are asking the impossible, they disappeared when fan forced frost free fridges came in a fair while ago.

edit: You know what's wrong with your fridge? If it's the standard freezer up top, the drain got blocked or iced up or the fridge damper/thermostat is stuffed. That's why your freezer is good (coil defrosted OK and freezer working OK) but no air to the fridge. It's not a big repair or hassle to address that issue. I bought a s/h fridge freezer of the same style as a beer fridge and haven't had a problem with it.
    With the drain in the fridge ou are talking about before, sounds like you mean a cyclic defrost. It's not going to happen, I love these old simple beasts, and have one as my main fridge for 10 years. But no one make them any more.
    Last edited by paul_h; 19-01-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K805sc1 View Post
    Thanks Paul.

My old Fridge Freezer So I'm going to return & buy another & I think I'll go for one that dosnt simply rely on ducted air.

When asked I always advise the customer to get the cheapest fridge freezer available.
    You will pays hundredsof £s for gadgets and gimicks.

Before you give up on the old one though turn it off for about 24hours to defrost.
    expect water to leak from it so pack dry towels around it.
    Turn it off and open both doors.
    When happy turn back on if the temp in both compartment is not what it should be after a few hours running then you have a problem.
    If it works we can discuss your options.

Cheers taz,