Hybrid View

The most efficient material for cold conducting?

Hi All,

I would like to what material/metal etc, is considered to be an efficient conductor of a cold source at zero degrees Celsius or colder?

E.g. Something that's able to conduct cold temperatures rapidly, a heatsink in reverse.

Re: The most efficient material for cold conducting?

Hi, interDOS

Quote Originally Posted by interDOS View Post
    Hi All,

I would like to what material/metal etc, is considered to be an efficient conductor of a cold source at zero degrees Celsius or colder?

E.g. Something that's able to conduct cold temperatures rapidly, a heatsink in reverse.
    so far is this...heat pipe...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...xWSC2jIqzlKPhQ

http://images.google.com/images?q=he...mages&ct=title

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Blog Entries

I presume that this question is related to cooling of microprocessors!

Hi Josip, Thanks for the interesting links but it's not really what I'm trying to establish, perhaps I didn't explain it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    I presume that this question is related to cooling of microprocessors!
    Yes, chipsets will form part of the objects to be cooled.

The idea is to cool fluid and pump it in a closed loop. The cooling device is electrical and would need to be attached to an element designed to keep the electrical parts away from the fluid, whilst the non-electrical end is cooling the fluid.

I know it depends on the amount of fluid being heated, and the temperature of the cooling source. I also know that copper and aluminium are very good heat conductors, but what would be the best element to use as a cold conductor?

interDos

By conductor I think you mean heat xfer material (solid). In which case for sake of ecconomics and practical engineering silver is the best conductor and I am guessing here - silver plated copper or silver plated titanium (thinnner wall). If you search superconductor thermal on the net you will find more. Another fact would affect heat xfer is the roughness of the material InterDOS

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    By conductor I think you mean heat xfer material (solid). In which case for sake of ecconomics and practical engineering silver is the best conductor and I am guessing here - silver plated copper or silver plated titanium (thinnner wall). If you search superconductor thermal on the net you will find more. Another fact would affect heat xfer is the roughness of the material InterDOS
    Hi Telsa,

I have ignored the all the facts for the time being, in regards to the temperature of the fluid being relative to the cold temperature of the source, the mass of the cold conductor, material of the cold conductor, ambient temperature, the insulated fluid container etc.

I will research the materials you suggested, but what I'm not sure of is this:

Are the materials that are very good at conducting/absorbing very HOT sources, also very good at absorbing/conducting very COLD sources?

Once I establish what is the best material to use as a cold conductor, I can do the maths to workout how cold a conductor (of a given mass) has to be, in order to cool the fluid to the required temperature.

I have several ideas as regards the cold source, including using thermoelectric modules, hence the need to keep the 'electric cold source' away from the 'fluid target'.

Thanks to all that have responded thus far.

interDOS

they conduct the heat out, not the cold in
    Take the V out of HVAC and you are left with a HAC job