Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

What Does "Service" Mean To You?

Hi Ya'll.....

At one time in my life, I thought I had a handle on the meaning of the word "service."

"It's the act of doing things for other people."

Then I heard these terms which reference the word SERVICE:

Internal Revenue Service
    Postal Service
    Telephone Service
    Civil Service
    City & County Public Service
    Customer Service
    Service Stations

Then I became confused about the word "service." This is not what I thought "service" meant.

So today, I overheard two farmers talking, and one of them said he had hired a bull to "service" a few of his cows. BAM! It all came into perspective. Now I understand what all those "service" agencies are doing to us.

I hope you now are as enlightened as I am!!!

Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Re: What Does "Service" Mean To You?

Thank's Brian,

As a foreigner I often get confused with minor shades of the English language.

Strange that nobody mentioned this before, all these years I been doing it wrong.
    Never mind, I will improve, I have to go and do an annual service tomorrow and our site contact there is a quite nice young lady........

(Luckily I'm on my own tomorrow but can you, who obviously have more experience of this, tell me what you do if you are more than one engineer on site? All at once or do you take turns?)
    (Another thing, if there is a lot of ladies on a site, how do you cope? The best I ever performed without a longish break/sleep is 3 hours but that means only 3 of them would receive the service they deserve?)

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

You'll just have to book a return visit I guess

As for more than one on site,,,, it must fall to seniority and/or experience.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Love the monkey Brian
    Service was what I learnt as an apprentice, but that was 18 years ago. Then I had an oppertunity to give it to the customers when I worked for the best company in Ausi - I left them 4 years ago. I have worked for big companies since and they just don't understand. It all boils down to money - the old saying - PENNY WISE, POUND POOR. Then some customers don't want to pay for service, at the end of the day "You get what you pay for"

Then some customers don't want to pay for service, at the end of the day "You get what you pay for"[/quote]

Hear ye Hear ye

ha ha! this is possibly the funiest thread ever, nice one brian. this does explain however that when i turn up on site to hear "i got a man in to service it a few days ago and now it doesnt work" what is really meant is "i got a man in a few days ago and he scr*wed it up"! xxx
    Last edited by adams?; 17-01-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Ah Brian you are a mine of information, here's me trying to fix things when I would go and do a "service call" when all along I should have been trying to f*** things.
    All is clear now thank you Brian.
    Paul

Awesome...

Thanks Brian That is going to make it company wide I think