Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: moving to Aus

Re: moving to Aus

T-P,
    Thanks budy, RE is a great community to be a part of, and I to hope to stay along time.

I only assumed TKNZ was corp operated, we actually have several dealerships here that are corporate owned and controlled in the states, all the rest are private owned.

I did stop in at TKNZ wedsite and they look professional people there. I like there website as well as it seems they share some good risk management info and basic trouble shooting tips in there.

Regards A-Z

Not to get off subject but last night Sat down to watch discovery channel again, but only to tune into a documentary called Killer Ants.

There happen to be a documentray on the Jumper jack ant and the bulldog ant, once again "Native of Australia". Nasty little buggers.

A-Z

A-Z try Transcold. OK there's a lot of Kiwis living in Australia, its just over the ditch so to speak. A couple of hours in a plane away.
    Ive been working out of town, so sorry I've not been in contact.
    magoo

Magoo, thanks but, CTC is not my gig buddy. I will continue to wait for the TK opportunties.

When you gentlemen talk about the Kiwis, is this in reference to the flightless nocturnal bird?

Talk to you later,

Regards A-Z

[QUOTE=absolute-zero;90967
    When you gentlemen talk about the Kiwis, is this in reference to the flightless nocturnal bird?
    Regards A-Z[/QUOTE]

hmmmm A-Z , " include me OUT " of this debate

You should know there's a lot of (mosly friendly) rivalry between the Aussies and Kiwis ( yes slang for NZ-landers).

Dont know if they are flightless exactly but have often seen many of both species " legless" on w/ends.

And they used tosay the Irish can drink .... dunno 'bout that anymore, these guys in Antipodes drink " stubbies" of beer for breakfast, lunch, anytime really.... YUK YUK

regards
    T-P
    Remember what Augustus once said:
    "festina lente" - make haste, slowly!

Quote Originally Posted by thermo prince View Post
    hmmmm A-Z , " include me OUT " of this debate

You should know there's a lot of (mosly friendly) rivalry between the Aussies and Kiwis ( yes slang for NZ-landers).

Dont know if they are flightless exactly but have often seen many of both species " legless" on w/ends.

And they used tosay the Irish can drink .... dunno 'bout that anymore, these guys in Antipodes drink " stubbies" of beer for breakfast, lunch, anytime really.... YUK YUK

regards
    T-P
    T-P,
    you crack me up with some of the stuff you say

hi chaps i am new to the forum so go easy on me . regarding australia i am currently going through the visa process to emmigrate , what i would like to know is whats all the australian licences about , i am currently applying through vetassess [ now that they have taken over the TRA assessing body ] i hold city and guilds 6127 level 2 in refrigeration and city and guilds 2078 refrigerant handling , apparently once i have taken the vetassess skills assessment i will be issued with a provisional licence so i can work on the tools under supervision , within this time i have to take a restricted wiring test and the oz version of the refrigerant handling . please can somebody confirm this or is there other tests i have to take , i have heard so many different accounts of this situation that its beginning to question my sanity , come on chaps give us a clue . ps regarding my time served i was never an apprentice i came through as a assistant and picked it up [ probably like a lot of us on here ] . regards , karl .

Hi,

I have all the answers you'll need.

Unfortunately for me and you level 2 is not sufficent as it needs to be equivelent to the aus level 3.
    I passed TRA as a mechanical engineer (previous trade) but went with the intention of working in aircon, no one will employ you without the licences as a engineer, you'll be able to work as a mate but it'll be paying around 16K a yr.
    I worked as a mature apprentice when i arrived with the intention of going to college to get the licences, i was quoted by Logan TAFE around $5000 each yr (2yr course) and block release t do this. also the company i worked for wanted me to get my own vac pump,reclaim and so on.
    I'm going to do the level 3 now so i can go back - plenty of work for the licenced.
    It's the restricted electrical you need along with a refrigerant licence.

* if they bring pathway D back as some people expect then you'll pass if you have over 8 yr's in the trade, but they might not. (Pathway D is the experianced route which was removed in around september)

see www.britishexpats.com for more insight.

Any questions feel free to ask, i've been through it only 4 months ago.

Chris

Sorry Karl, have you passed your skills assesment before pathway D was removed and are you on stage two skills assesment?

Chris

Does, the same certs or similiar certs apply to the Transport Temperature Control engineers/techs?

I would assume that he refrigeration handling licence would apply.

But because refrigerant handling licence is or was introduced as a global treaty of, many nations, I wouldnt think it would matter where you got it, as long as it was per the treaty standards.

A-Z

hi, my first post so take it easy on me. I've completed my nvq level 2 via an apprenticeship and done the electrical (british) cousre and have the certs. I've been in the trade 7yrs i know i will have to do the skill tests here in the uk and get the liecnse's when i get to oz.
    I am expericed in vrv's/vrf's, splits, water chillers, co2 tanks, gylcol systems, commerical ref, demestic refs.
    so i'm wondering were does this leave me with getting a job over there
    regards adam
    Last edited by Kp3; 05-02-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Australia does not recoganise our safe handling refrigerants licence.

Chris

Take from the migration new's, this will be interesting for people relying on experiance to migrate.

GOOD NEWS FOR TRADESPERSONS, Announcement on TRA Pathway in early 2008...

According to a recent news release from Trades Recognition Australia (TRA), an announcement will be made on TRA PATHWAY D early in the New Year. This may well be the good news that trades people have been waiting to hear.

The removal of Pathway D has had a big effect on trade applicants relying predominantly on work experience.

The latest TRA Bulletin, summer 2007 stated; “On 4th September TRA removed Pathway D from the Uniformed Assessment Criteria (UAC) until further notice.

Stay tuned for a further announcement about the future of Pathway D early in the New Year.”

Quote Originally Posted by chris96 View Post
    Sorry Karl, have you passed your skills assesment before pathway D was removed and are you on stage two skills assesment?

Chris
    hi chris thanks for your input i am going through vetassess now , i didnt think there would be all these problems being a qualified refrigeration engineer , could do with talking to you about what you went through , it doesnt sound good . regards , karl.

Hi Karl

PM me your email address as i'm unable to Pm you to give you my phone number.

It is a pain but worth it........

Chris

Hi Karl

PM me your email address as i'm unable to Pm you to give you my phone number.

It is a pain but worth it........

Chris
    cheers chris email janehitch****209@btinternet.com

Quote Originally Posted by nedgus2 View Post
    dont know what i did wrong the missing stars is **** , dont laugh .regards , karl.

Quote Originally Posted by nedgus2 View Post
    dont know what i did wrong the missing stars is **** , dont laugh .regards , karl.
    come on chris give us a clue , is there a direct way of doing this , regards . karl.

Click on my name, then Private messages, most forums won't let you put your email directly on the posts

Chris

Just been looking at the Vetassess website, it looks like they have relaxed the rules now, i'll have to research some more.

The Pathway is irrelevant now as that was for the TRA
    I'll post as soon as i have the answers

Just been looking at the Vetassess website, it looks like they have relaxed the rules now, i'll have to research some more.

The Pathway is irrelevant now as that was for the TRA
    I'll post as soon as i have the answers
    hi chris i cant send a pm to you it doesnt come up when i click on your name , i think i can help you regarding vetassess . how can i get in touch with you with a personal message . [ not the best with computers ] regards , karl.

Just a note; One of my mates working in Melbourne has told me that he's got to have a limited plumber's licence as wel las the eletrical & safe handling. As far as I know it's only in Victoria State that it's a requirement though.

I'm applying to VetAsses too at the moment, having finally been told categorically that even though I hold an HNC & am moving on a spouse visa, without the TRA I will not be allowed to work in Oz.

Oh well, there goes another wad of cash.

Guys, you may find THIS useful?

I went to one of these last year in Australia house, london. Not much good, but it was a nice night out.
    Gd to get information on removals, exchange companies and so on, found it was more aimed at people who work for rail companies, mining and that sort of stuff.

Similar to the last one I went to then. However, the intersting thing I found was how many of these seemingly non-refrigeration co's were looking for A/C tech's. I had no idea of the set-up when I went, so had no CV's or anything, but I was still offered inteviews with a number of places - Queensland Roads Dept (I forget the proper name) for e.g.
    One chap was the head of H.R. for a group of 3 companies. He had a list of required trades about 5 sheets of A4 long - althogh they were mainly railways, there were chiller & refrigeration techs, as well as porject engineers on the list. They also wanted sparkies - 200 grade A sparks for one project due to start last April in southern Queensland. His comment 'Where the hell am I going to find 200 grade A Electricians!?'.
    The opportunities are there, you just need to dig in a bit.

I was in australia last year and can safely say you don't need to look for a job over here in advance, the first day you'll start looking you'll have at least 5 offers.
    Untold amounts of work for good licenced engineer's

A small but good agency is Recruit right, ask for leanne on 0431771565. She covers the whole of Australia.

Well not to Aus but to Nz what is the view of Canadian certs there? As I'm wanting to move to Nz, got a place lined up to live but now just need a company willing, I'm basicaly getting my trades entry cert from http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/2320ttcert

and been doing it as a hobby 4 years prior

In our system I'd be basicaly at a 2nd year aprentice level.

More then willing to move like I said even have a place to stay lined up in Auckland!

I was in australia last year and can safely say you don't need to look for a job over here in advance, the first day you'll start looking you'll have at least 5 offers.
    Untold amounts of work for good licenced engineer's

A small but good agency is Recruit right, ask for leanne on 0431771565. She covers the whole of Australia.
    Yup. My in-laws took thier caravan outback a ways last year, & talking to the owners of the site they were on, found out that they wait about 2 years to get someone to go fit A/C! Sounds like an interesting opportunity for someone with a campervan & large trailer.

I got sponsered to work in Sydney in 1999.That position came about through the "seek" website.

I bottled going out there at the last minute as the thought of big city living and changing a pot in 40 degree heat up on a roof dosn't really appeal

hi to paul z and all

any advice would be appriciated.

at present working the vettessess format to apply for visa me and my family hope to move to adelaide soon been in the industry for 21 years and worked on whatever jobs come along be it fridge or a/c notice a lot of experiance on this site but after working for myself for 10 years take things as they come (you are only as good as the information you have got with most up to date tech, so many fault codes.)
    as said been on my own for a while and would have to find the right employment would like to be involved more in contracting ac side, sorry people but fridge work can be messy and starting out doing fridge as a trainee brings back memories oil and loads of it.
    is adelaide a good place to aquire a/c work and where would you consider living to be able to commute with out peeing the new boss off, thats sounds weird boss.
    would really welcome any advice from anyone not worried about hard work just the reality of moving so far with young family.
    thankyou in advance.

Hi Tempaire Just saw youe post. There are a lot of A/C companies around. Check seek.com and careerone.com some may have advertised. Another way is Google Yellow pages, Adelaide and go to Air Conditioning, most have email addresses and make contact. I am not sure if there is a shortage of A/C mechanics but there is for commercial / industrial. As far as where to live I reckon most employers wouldn't mind if you were within 30 mins drive of their office but you would find they would give you jobs close to where you live anyway. A lot of these companies are not in Adelaide city but in the industrial suburbs about 30 mins out. Probably best to rent first (6 - 12 months) look around and ask the people you work with. There are a few rough suburbs as with any city. Paul

thanks paulz for your reply i did spend 7 years working on climatic chambers (cascade) is this type of work available, i not really looking solely for fridge work ie coldrooms freezers etc. not that i cannot fix them but would find that a bit boring, have being installing fixing anything thats comes up really, thats life being self employed in uk but now want to become more prolific in certain applications, and ac i prefer more contact with the general public and when doing job searches it really does not go into detail to much as to what is expected, i know i am asking lots of questions but appreciate honest answers i want to come to australia to be able experiance your way of life and be a part of your society and really enjoy life do not expect it to be all roses but find in uk with our inclusion in ec have found it hard to work on sites where you just cannot comunicate with co workers and am to old to learn 10 differant languages, i am sure this problem with most people will smooth itself out in uk but i have to look forward for my family. one last subject paulz if you would be so kind is the licence set up i have read so many differant versions.
    on looking at sa is this a route that complies.

all people apply to vetassess now in a/c & fridge but this outcome is only applicable for imigration acceptance once in australia you only have a provisional licence which is not worth the paper it is written on when trying out for work.
    so am i right in saying for south australia you would have seek recognition of prior learning to obtain a recognised trade certificate. apply for a national refrigerant handling certificate (i hold a uk version)but am lead to believe this would have to be done again (no worries) apply for a national restricted electrical licence (i hold a uk version) but assume this has to be done again and am i right in saying to work a construction sites you need a green card also, is there any more surprizes. any information with respect to how long this would take ie the above would be received gratefully and how these can be booked in uk so i can come over and do them before my family arrives the problem i am sure with anyone is having a aus address to put in applications, i would not mind missing the children for 3 months do courses if this possible.

kind regards

Hi Tempaire I have posted a lot of links earlier in this thread. I know when we have employed engineers from South Africa and the UK it has taken up to 5 months to get them here. It is a drawn out process and can be expensive. I know they go through Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) to get their qualifications and licenses approved allowing them to work in Australia. I can check on this as we have just employed a South African engineer. Some of these guys come out on a 2 year work visa and apply for permanent residency during that time. Can't answer your question about Cascade work. Some of the bigger A/C companies in Adelaide that do industrial / commercial are Carrier, Trane, Fridgrite, Air Comfort Services, Sinclair Refrigeration and Butterfields. Hope this helps. Paul

thanks paul

GOD speed dude

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12