SR2 50 models electric SBY diagonostics made simple

I Found this training diagnostic document the other day and thought i would post it here.

OPTIONAL ELECTRIC STANDBY (Model 50 units only)
    The Electric Standby option allows the unit to be operated on either the diesel engine or external electric power. The units are supplied to operate on three phase power.
    The following features are standard equipment on units equipped with Electric Standby.

Automatic Diesel/Electric Selection –
    The unit can be programmed to automatically switch to electric operation when a power cord is connected and the standby power is switched “on”.

The unit can also be programmed to automatically switch back to diesel power if the standby power is switched off or fails.

The HMI control panel will prompt for electric or diesel switchover if the respective autoswitch feature is not enabled.

Note: The unit will automatically switch to Cycle Sentry when the unit is manually switched or autoswitched to electric mode.

Automatic Overload Reset -
    The overload relay resets automatically after the motor cools. When the overload trips, it interrupts power to
    the motor contactor coil.

Electric Heat –
    Both hot gas and electric heat is utilized on model 50 units. The electric heatersare also used during defrost.

Automatic Phase Correction -
    The control system features two motor contactors. One of the connectors is energized by the phase detection module to insure correct motor rotation, regardless of phase rotation on the incoming power. The motor contactors are also
    mechanically interlocked.

Low Voltage Detection –
    The phase detectionmodulation will not allow the unit to run if the supply voltage is too low.

Single Phase Protection –
    The phase detection modulation will not allow the unit to run if it detects a single phase condition.

High Voltage Components
    The high voltage enclosure or tray contains the motor contactors, overload relay, heater contactor and phase select module used to operate the drive motor on units equipped with Electric Standby.

The contactors are controlled by +12 volt dc control signals from the interface board.

SB units have a separate control box located on the compressor side of the unit for these high voltage components.

SL units utilize a high voltage tray located inside the unit control box.

Diesel/Electric Relay K5
    The Diesel/Electric Relay K5 is present on all units. If the Electric Standby option is not present or if the unit is running in Diesel Mode then control power is routed through the Diesel/Electric Relay normally closed contacts.

The Diesel/Electric Relay is energized and LED 7 is lit when the microprocessor requests Electric Mode operation.

The K5 Diesel/Electric Relay normally open contacts supply power to the 7E circuit to enable Electric Mode operation.

Heater Contactor HC
    The heater contactor is used to supply standby power to the electric heaters during heat and defrost mode electric operation.

The heater contactor is energized and LED 5 is lit when the microprocessor energizes the K3 High Speed Relay during electric mode operation.

The K3 High Speed Relay Smart FET supplies chassis ground via the 26E wire to the heater contactor. The circuit is protected by the Smart FET.

Phase Detect Module Operation and Diagnostics
    Description
    The phase detect module is designed to monitor 3 phase voltages from 160 volts AC thru 510 volts AC.

Operation
    The brown, blue and black wires are used to sample the power at L1, L2 and L3 respectively. Operating power from 12 to 24 VDC is supplied to the module via the #8 wire and CH wire.

When the voltage sensed rises above 180 volts AC and all three phases are present the module ER wire will output 12-24 VDC after the conditions exist for 2 to 4 seconds.

This signal informs the microprocessor that electric standby operation is possible. If the voltage drops below 160 volts AC or a phase is lost, the output is turned off after the condition exists for 8 to 10 seconds.

The module continues to monitor the power and will again output 12-24 VDC within 2 to 4 seconds after the voltage rises above 180 volts AC and all three phases are present.

If phase rotation is L1, L2, L3 the 7EB wire will supply 12 to 24 VDC to energize the appropriate phase rotation contactor. If phase rotation is L1, L3, L2 the 7EC wire will supply a chassis ground to energize the appropriate phase rotation contactor. The 7EB and 7EC wires are interlocked to prevent both phase contactors from being energized at once.

Connections
    Connections to the module are shown in the tables below.

Power Connections and Input / Description
    # 8F Supplies nominal 12-24 volt DC power to the phase detect module.

CH Chassis ground

High Voltage Inputs
    L1 This brown wire supplies standby power L1 to the phase detect module.

L2 This blue wire supplies standby power L2 to the phase detect module.

L3 This black wire supplies standby power L3 to the phase detect module.

Outputs and Description
    7EH With 12-24 VDC is supplied, then outputs 7EB and 7EC will be at 12-24 VDC.

7EB If phase rotation is L1, L2, L3 then this wire will provide 12-24 VDC to energize the appropriate phase rotation contactor. The 7EC wire is interlocked to prevent both phase contactors from being energized at once.

7EC If phase rotation is L1, L3, L2 then this wire will provide 12-24 VDC to energize the appropriate phase rotation contactor. The 7EB wire is interlocked to prevent both phase contactors from being energized at once.

ER This wire will output 12-24 VDC 2 to 4 seconds after the voltage rises above 180 volts AC and all three phases are present. If the voltage drops below 160 volts AC or a phase is lost and the condition remains for 8 to 10 seconds, the output is turned off. The module continues to monitor and will again output 12-24 VDC 2 to 4 seconds after the power returns to normal (voltage rises above 180 volts AC and all three phases are present).

Connector Pinout and Pin Wire Description
    1 #8F Power to Module
    2 CH Chassis ground
    3 ER Power OK
    4 7EH Switches the 7EC and 7EB from grounding to power logic
    5 7EB Phase A-B-C
    6 7EC Phase A-C-B
    7 Unused
    8 Unused
    9 Unused

Diagnostics
    1. Plug the standby power cord into a known good power supply and turn the unit on.

2. Using a Fluke Meter, test the L1, L2, and L3 circuits at the input to the terminals where the Brown, Blue and Black wires are connected.
    The voltage should be between 200 - 500 VAC between circuits. If not, repair as necessary to supply the needed voltage to the unit.

3. Check the #8F and CH circuits to the phase detect module. 12-24 VDC must be present from #8F to CH.
    If this power is not present, check the #8 circuit from the On/Off switch.

4. If correct power is present in the test above then the ER circuit on the interface board should have 12-24 VDC present.
    If power is not present replace the phase detect module.

5. If LED 6 on the interface board is on then the 7EH circuit should have 12-24 VDC present.
    If power is not present check the Diesel/Electric Relay circuit on the interface board.

6. If the unit is calling for operation (LED 6 is on) one of the phase select contactors should be energized
    If neither contactor is energized check for 12-24 VDC. If voltage is not present replace the phase detect module.

Removal and Replacement of Phase Detection Module
    1. Turn the unit off.
    2. Disconnect the unit battery.
    3. Disconnect the standby power.
    4. Disconnect the three wires from the phase detect module at the motor contactor.
    5. Unplug the phase detect module harness.
    6. Remove the old phase detect module.
    7. Install the new phase detect module.
    8. Connect the new phase detect module wires to the upper contactor as follows:
    9. Connect the brown wire to L1 on the contactor.
    10. Connect the blue wire to L2 on the contactor.
    11. Connect the black wire to L3 on the contactor.
    12. Use crimp-on terminals as required.
    13. Connect the plug on the short harness from the phase detect module.
    14. Install the high voltage cover.
    15. Secure wires and wire harnesses as required using cable ties.
    16. Connect the unit battery.
    17. Connect standby power.
    18. Perform a Pretrip Test to verify proper operation.

Hope this helps anyone....

A-Z

Re: SR2 50 models electric SBY diagonostics made simple

Hi again AZ, thanks for your contributions towards 'tarnsport' industry !

PS - did you block your PM messaging? I tried sending a note but it was blocked somehow .... check if you need to make it visible etc

best regards
    T-P
    Remember what Augustus once said:
    "festina lente" - make haste, slowly!

Quote Originally Posted by thermo prince View Post
    Hi again AZ, thanks for your contributions towards 'tarnsport' industry !

PS - did you block your PM messaging? I tried sending a note but it was blocked somehow .... check if you need to make it visible etc

best regards
    T-P
    I had no idea it was not on. It must be a default setting possibly, not sure.

Any way I turned it on.

Try sending it.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Yep, default on registering is OFF and you do need to turn on later.

We just don't tell you that's all

It was changed to this setup some time ago because some newcomers where spamming via the PM system as soon as they signed up.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

And i thought the SB TC3 with technical

Regards

Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Yep, default on registering is OFF and you do need to turn on later.

We just don't tell you that's all

It was changed to this setup some time ago because some newcomers where spamming via the PM system as soon as they signed up.
    Makes sense to me.

I am not a spammer nor will I be a spammer, so will it be possible for you to instuct me in how to turn on my PM.

I have been into my edit options but do not see, anything on Private messaging.

Thanks Brian

Regards A-Z