Smile Tales Of The Unexpected

One of those service stories that always makes me smile and hopefully you guys will to?
    This story involves a Rural Ammonia Cold Store and the "Local Fire Service"
    I must first explain for those of us outside the UK.
    Nationally we operate a 2 tier Fire Service. Which means that the larger populated areas have Full Time
    personel operating a 24/7 shift cover for Fire and other Emergencies.
    In the more remote areas or less densely populated areas we operate a "Retained" Fire Service. Sometimes known as part time as they have full time jobs local to the Fire Station and are "on call". To respond whenever needed.
    Part time is unfair as they are usually as well trained and professional as the full time Firemen.
    This instance involves one such crew that had not received the required training.
    So picture the scene you have a large u shaped Cold Store with 2 1000,000 sq ft chambers facing each other on the vertical sides with the plant rooms ect at the base of the u facing in. Oposite them is the 2 main steel gates completing what becomes a quadrangle.
    So during the night my good friend and colleague who was Chief Engineer recieves a call from the Fire Services. Informing him that there was a major Ammonia leak from the plant and the "local" guys were enroute! Could he please attend to assist.
    Upon arriving he was greeted by the sight of:-
    1) All the Night Staff outside the Main Gates talking to the Firemen!
    2) When looking down towards the plantroom through the now wide open gates.
    3) He saw Ammonia vapour billowing from one of the
    Condensor Towers with an abandoned Fire Engine it's doors wide open.Complete with Siren and Flashing Lights in the middle of the quadrangle.
    Apparantly the firemen had arrived full pelt, driven straight into the centre of the yard toward the leaking Ammonia. Taken a good lungfull of Ammonia and legged it straight in the opposite direction through the gates. Leaving the appliance with all their equipment in the midst of it all.
    I am not sure how he did it but he managed to get them access to their BA and Chemical Suits. And with Firemen in attendance he went in and isolated the leaking Condenser.
    Then apparently had "Strong Words" with the Fire Chief as the Chemical Suits they had were so old that the Elasticated collars and cuffs leaked.
    A few lessons were learnt that day.
    After that All of the Group Cold Stores had their own Chemical Suits Issued (they allready had their own BA).
    Also the "Local Fire Brigade" became regular Visitors to familiarise New Recruits!
    But thats Another Story FOR ANOTHER DAY!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR and I hope some one has enjoyed todays little story.
    Grizzly
    ps It made the National News!

Re: Tales Of The Unexpected

Thanx for sharing the story Grizzly. Glad it had a happy ending.
    I have visions of a 'Dad's Army'- like crew racing to the scene.
    Cries of "Dont panic, dont panic, Captain Manwering "

Happy New Year to all here.
    T-P
    Remember what Augustus once said:
    "festina lente" - make haste, slowly!