Threaded View

Re: Beko frost free freezer/fridge help needed

Quote Originally Posted by DJT View Post
    Thanks for the reply. No he never took any covers off at all, or checked for ice etc, he insisted from the start it was low gas and if that didn't work it was the compressor and freezer would need to be scrapped.
    Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Domestics can be the easiest or the hardest to work on.
    When a refrigerant is at a low temp the pressure can be low so what may appear as a shortage of gas may actualy be a iced evap or there may evan be a restriction in the system causing a blockage that causes low pressure.

Now then though back to your job.
    I do not know what he tested for or what he explained to you but unfortunately with domestics the fitting of the service valve can in-itself cause probblems because the engineer only sees one side of the system.
    So lets assume he was right and the system was running and has failed due to the extra load put on the thing.
    I would sugest that the extra load would only come if there was a blockage in the system. The extra gas does bring the pressures up a bit but it does also cause extreme stress on the comp.
    This could then lead to the thing working for a short time and the finaly giving up.
    If it was short of gas then where has the gas gone?
    Adding a refrigerant without repairing the leak is extremely bad practice.

If itwas me I would of explained the situation to you a bit more.
    Shotage of gas can not be diagnosed by just fitting a service valve so he perhaps could of explained that it may be short of gas, it may have a blockage or as has already been sugested it may have been iced up.

If he had given you the opptions then maybe you would of made another desceision.

I don't know about you being ripped off and he has offer a part refund.

Its your call mate I can see it from his point of view but you feel cheated.

He may not of done the best job ever but I don't thin he has done anything deliberatly to rip you off.

taz.
    Last edited by taz24; 20-12-2007 at 05:25 PM.