Quote Originally Posted by taz24 View Post
I think you have made your mind up.

You will have to talk to him to see what your options are.

Cheers taz.
Yeah, I'm still hacked off, maybe tomorrow when I've "chilled" a bit. I guess what I was after was someone to tell me I am talking rot and should just pay up, but that hasn't happened as yet.

What actually happened was we'd agreed to the call out charge, no problem. The guy said the compressor was running but he was unable to tell if the compressor was faulty or it was a lack of coolant until he broke into the line to test it. I agreed, still 100% happy. After he broke into the line he then said the compressor is working 100% fine no problem, it's definatly coolant. This is when I got unhappy, because as I've asked before, with a gradual leak would it have shown any signs of it failing before hand? If it wasn't a gradual leak it would have been scrap anyway. But we were assured 100% that this was the fault. We reluctantly agreed to having the refrigerant topped up, still not convinced this was the problem. Anyway he topped it up, requested cash only and left saying it would take 2-3 hours before the the temperature would drop. So 3 hours later I checked it and it was still reading the same temperate as before. So the quote over the phone of £25 to tell me what was wrong has now cost me £100 to find out it was the compressor. He also left telling me it was fixed and it wasn't.

I know fault finding can be difficult at times, and I am not refusing to pay a fair price for the work. If he'd been more open and said I can't check the compressor until it's topped up and this will cost you xyz I'd have been happier. But he never. He assured us the compressor was OK. Only then did we agree to having it topped up only to be told tough luck it was the compressor after all. That's why I feel so angry about this.

Update - he has offered me a £40 refund against the £60 he charged to re-gas it. Progress at last.