Tk Is No Longer King

I have a wack of TK units on service contract. They are all TS300 or 500's. They are all between new and 2 years old and new. I chose TK because I am responsable for the reapirs and costs of repairs for
    5-7 years and they had a good track record. In the past they were indestructable and the best quality. I came from Carrier and still chose TK's.
    Well, I am getting a bunch more and they will be Carrier. Only other option is Zanotti as these TK's are crap. Sorry guys but I just inspected everyone as my guys are complaining and they are right. These things are falling apart. Absolute S*%$T!
    We pre-trip every 90 days and still can't keep them in good shape. They look 100 years old. Crap, Crap, Crap! Sorry boys but Crap!

Re: Tk Is No Longer King

Quote Originally Posted by abbsnowman View Post
    I have a wack of TK units on service contract. They are all TS300 or 500's. They are all between new and 2 years old and new. I chose TK because I am responsable for the reapirs and costs of repairs for
    5-7 years and they had a good track record. In the past they were indestructable and the best quality. I came from Carrier and still chose TK's.
    Well, I am getting a bunch more and they will be Carrier. Only other option is Zanotti as these TK's are crap. Sorry guys but I just inspected everyone as my guys are complaining and they are right. These things are falling apart. Absolute S*%$T!
    We pre-trip every 90 days and still can't keep them in good shape. They look 100 years old. Crap, Crap, Crap! Sorry boys but Crap!

Have you worked the local TK dealer to make sure all the updates were completed?

You need to get with your local dealer, make sure they are aware of door hinge, and engine mount campaigns. If your having problems with local dealer service, then maybe you need to go a little higher in the food chain. I can assure you that TK will resolve any issues that are open. Trust me bro TK is the best and you will be disappointed with anything else. Just because you have problems with tk dealer does not mean TK as a whole sucks, please be a little more open minded.

Tell you what give me some 10 digit unit serial numbers and I will check to see if campaigns are available for your units. I will email you the details.

Quote Originally Posted by absolute-zero View Post
    Have you worked the local TK dealer to make sure all the updates were completed?

You need to get with your local dealer, make sure they are aware of door hinge, and engine mount campaigns. If your having problems with local dealer service, then maybe you need to go a little higher in the food chain. I can assure you that TK will resolve any issues that are open. Trust me bro TK is the best and you will be disappointed with anything else. Just because you have problems with tk dealer does not mean TK as a whole sucks, please be a little more open minded.

Tell you what give me some 10 digit unit serial numbers and I will check to see if campaigns are available for your units. I will email you the details.
    I do agree that the dealer is the big issue. They told me not to touch them because they are under warranty and then said they were not covered because time had passed. Bite me TK!
    Honestly though, I stand by what I said, they took a good thing and killed it. I have MDII SR's with 20,000 hours that are screeming "bring it on!" These things need pink panties!

I do agree that the dealer is the big issue. They told me not to touch them because they are under warranty and then said they were not covered because time had passed. Bite me TK!
    Honestly though, I stand by what I said, they took a good thing and killed it. I have MDII SR's with 20,000 hours that are screeming "bring it on!" These things need pink panties!
    Give me some unit serial numbers in an a email. I will try to help you out the best i can form over on this end.

Give me some unit serial numbers in an a email. I will try to help you out the best i can form over on this end.
    Will do buddy

Hard words, but where's the details? Even 8 years old can come here to yell this and this is s*it, so it would help to have some details. Perhaps we're able to help you out here.
    In Finland TS-series runs quite good. With low ambients (-25 or so) we've suffered some nuisance code 10's due the low suction pressure, but other than that, runs good.
    By saying they are falling apart do you mean perhaps doors flying off? There were some campaigns for that some time ago.

Regards
    -nova

I agree the TS units is proving to be as good or better than the MD/KD series.

There good until you have to purchase a scroll compressor.Major expense.

Doors falling off. Panels rubbing and rattling. Panels are difficult to put on and off. Alternator mounted poorly. (Shims)
    Parts are grosly overpriced. And on....And on...And on...
    Trust me Nova, I'm much more educated than an eight year old. I know what I am talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by SKOOBY View Post
    There good until you have to purchase a scroll compressor.Major expense.
    Your correct! I had one that had to be changed because it rotted and leaked at the cts. Seemed like a waste at the time but we had no choice.

Doors falling off. Panels rubbing and rattling. Panels are difficult to put on and off. Alternator mounted poorly. (Shims)
    Parts are grosly overpriced. And on....And on...And on...
    Trust me Nova, I'm much more educated than an eight year old. I know what I am talking about!
    Thanks for clarifying!
    Panels rattling? Ok more rattling on MD's that much I know.
    Items putting on and off .. well I can tell you a secret; this is not a top 1 priority to design a unit, you should have known that. In what way alternator is mounted poorly?

So far all you could put out was doors falling off which was supposed to be reworked long time a go by the dealer. What we can learn from this? Official dealers gets the information to correct things, others are crying like a 8 year old on boards...

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Thanks for clarifying!
    Panels rattling? Ok more rattling on MD's that much I know.
    Items putting on and off .. well I can tell you a secret; this is not a top 1 priority to design a unit, you should have known that. In what way alternator is mounted poorly?

So far all you could put out was doors falling off which was supposed to be reworked long time a go by the dealer. What we can learn from this? Official dealers gets the information to correct things, others are crying like a 8 year old on boards...
    This is the part were I show that I am a man and refrain from commenting. My reputation speeks for itself.

This is the part were I show that I am a man and refrain from commenting. My reputation speeks for itself.

good job abbs

Abbs Im still waiting for those uniit serial numbers buddy. I would like to see if the reworks were completed on these.

As far as replacement of the scroll compressor, I have only replaced one, and it was because of the CTS in the well of the casing was being hit by a jam nut that backed off, there was a bulletin on it a few years ago as TK identified it in some of these isolated scroll batches. I have never had to replace a scroll compressor on a unit that proved poor capacity. The Scroll compressors are much more durable and forgiving, how ever if you perform poor service practices or neglect a units maintences, then problems may arise.

There is not really a big secret to elimintaing the vibration, I have resolved 99% of the time, just by adjusting the RPMS and belt tensions while the unit is running, and had the units run smoother than a hair on a froggs a$$.

Abbs Im still waiting for those uniit serial numbers buddy. I would like to see if the reworks were completed on these.

As far as replacement of the scroll compressor, I have only replaced one, and it was because of the CTS in the well of the casing was being hit by a jam nut that backed off, there was a bulletin on it a few years ago as TK identified it in some of these isolated scroll batches. I have never had to replace a scroll compressor on a unit that proved poor capacity. The Scroll compressors are much more durable and forgiving, how ever if you perform poor service practices or neglect a units maintences, then problems may arise.

There is not really a big secret to elimintaing the vibration, I have resolved 99% of the time, just by adjusting the RPMS and belt tensions while the unit is running, and had the units run smoother than a hair on a froggs a$$.
    I sent them to you. They have all just been at the dealer for motor mounts. I have mentioned before how this played out. If you want to discuss that, it will have to be somewere else as aparantly this is not the place?

I sent them to you. They have all just been at the dealer for motor mounts. I have mentioned before how this played out. If you want to discuss that, it will have to be somewere else as aparantly this is not the place?
    Well based on the unit serial numbers you gave me, it appears they have never been registered. This may be most of the reason your having a difficult time with Policy and warranty issues getting resolved.

I do see based on the serial numbers, The engine mount campaign is needed and possibly the units muffler, if it was not already done.

Ask the dealer if they possibly forgot to register the units. I am assuming these units came from the local TK dealer in your area, so they should have some record of sale.

Wink Re: Tk Is No Longer King

Do you adjust the belts by feeling or with the tk - gauge. does your custemers come frequently to improve the right adjustment after replacing? i think its more difficult with the new plastic style .
    How do you set the high speed range on TK 3.95- i have many which would not reach it without opening the governeur adjustment- but that in case i try to keep of me.

interested to know how you adjust high speed past the factory setting as the adjustments are now inside the govenor housing with steel blanking locks in the opening. i have tried, removed the cap and had a tool made to go down inside the housing and back off a lock nut to allow the screw to be moved. did not work very well. have found that the engine is normally in need of some major attenion if you cannot reach high speed and you are sure the fuel injection side is o.k

Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    interested to know how you adjust high speed past the factory setting as the adjustments are now inside the govenor housing with steel blanking locks in the opening. i have tried, removed the cap and had a tool made to go down inside the housing and back off a lock nut to allow the screw to be moved. did not work very well. have found that the engine is normally in need of some major attenion if you cannot reach high speed and you are sure the fuel injection side is o.k
    I actually purchased a spanner socket tool right from Yanmar that is used to adjust the limit screw in the governor housing, The only problem i have has been reusing the soft plug cap that you need to remove to access. I will see if I can get a part number, and post it.

Also keep in mind that RPM adjustment do not always have to be adjust to the higher limit to achieve a vibration free running unit you can drop the RPMS to a lower speed if this works as well, however you fight with the code 33 in a Unit Self Check. I also adjust the belts while the unit is running, i have found this cures most of the vibrations right there alone.

A-Z

I work for one of the biggest truck/trailer lease companies in the world and they are seriously looking at reducing the amount of Thermo King units that they have. Right now it is about a 50/50 mix between Thermo King and Carrier. I like both of them and both of them have their good and bad points but it seems that T/K has more bad these days with their truck units than good. It is not a maintenance or any other problems that is causing this it is a very poorly engineered unit that T/K has been bringing out now. I firmly believe that they will get the bugs worked out but are losing customers in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by o5g View Post
    I work for one of the biggest truck/trailer lease companies in the world and they are seriously looking at reducing the amount of Thermo King units that they have. Right now it is about a 50/50 mix between Thermo King and Carrier. I like both of them and both of them have their good and bad points but it seems that T/K has more bad these days with their truck units than good. It is not a maintenance or any other problems that is causing this it is a very poorly engineered unit that T/K has been bringing out now. I firmly believe that they will get the bugs worked out but are losing customers in the mean time.
    What are all your issues with TK truck units? Maybe i can help with some technical advice.

Wink Re: Tk Is No Longer King

Wow, you have no idea how glad I am to see someone besides myself is willing to see beyond the emblem on the cover!
    You will irritate some with your comments but I got your back.

I firmly believe that they will get the bugs worked out but are losing customers in the mean time.

TK Truck units in North America are making a strong turn around over the past year and half, The issues over the years have been resolved with improved or replaced S/W and components, mainly naming Revison 3 PCB's, 1564 S/W, electric fuel pumps, and fuel shut off solenoids.

The only issues at this point are working out vibration issues, in which case, I have mentioned multiple times to adjust engine RPMS and belt tension to the vibration free sweet spot.

When ever a truck unit came into my shop, I always made sure to do those key things, The customers say thanks for fixing that vibration, and or other issues, that no one else could seem to resolve.

The key here is to identify the issues, be educated on the issues, and prepare a resolution to the issues, then resolve them.

I have seen many techs over the years bring in a unit, and only investigate the original unit complaint and try to only resolve that specific issue, with out ever taking in consideration cause of complaint. They never check perform a full unit inspection of fluid levels, belts, refrigerant levels, automated PTI's, fans, pullys. or other things that may pose an issue three days later.

This is a lazy and careless technician in my opion, but even more so I lie most of the blame on the expected educated floor forum or service leader, as to make sure the units, are completely checked and make sure all updates or necessary improvements are completed.

A-Z

AZ, I have found that werever you are, who ever you talk to alot of customers say the same thing.
    Some dealers can be difficult to work with. I am by no way insulting them. I just just find that some are so proud that they loose sight of the original issue,the machine and the rep that goes with it.
    So often they hold the "knowlage is power" belief and after awhile they develop "we are better than you".
    I of all people apreciate pride and commend everyone who has it, however after a matter of time it forces customers away. They want someone who is willing to work with them and fullfill their needs as they aply to their individual buisness. If they sense the feeling "use us or screw you," they will leave regardless of the emblem on the cover.
    My customers will purchase a machine that they have as much info as posible and confidence in the people who sold it to them.
    There are good people that are not dealers and by the way, if you think we are going to disappear, you best rethink your buisness plan. My customers are all I work for, not a name. They deserve nothing less.
    I hope I have not offended anyone here and this is not directed to anyone but insted, something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade02 View Post
    Do you adjust the belts by feeling or with the tk - gauge. does your custemers come frequently to improve the right adjustment after replacing? i think its more difficult with the new plastic style .
    How do you set the high speed range on TK 3.95- i have many which would not reach it without opening the governeur adjustment- but that in case i try to keep of me.
    I adjust the belts while the unit is running.

This has been the most effective way to clear out the unit vibration.

Before you start the unit, prepare by loosen the jam nuts and loosen the pully center mounting bolt just loose enough to allow friction movement for ajustment. Now start the unit and let it run in high speed, with an extension and socket ratchet, start adjusting the tensioner pully, till you find that vibration free sweet spot, once you have achieved this, shut the unit off and torque down all mounting hardware. Recheck start unit and make any other necessary adjustments to rpms or whatever. You will find these units run so smooth following this procedure. If the unit still has excessive vibration, maybe check for anothe cause, like a pully seizing or suction press regulator set to high causing excessive load on engine. maybe a fuel injector is weak or has poor spray pattern, maybe overhead valves are out of adjustment, pretty much the basic stuff that could cause an engine to not run smooth.