Hybrid View

Re: Thermo King Refrigerant Help!

Hi all,
    69L was an " interim refrigerant " or bridge mostly used in European markets during the mid 1990's as a drop in replacement for CFC R 502 ( while final step 404a was awaited) with little or no modification required to the existing units of that time. Its a terniary blend containing 56% R22.

A unit with 69L would have used the same AB alkyl benzene oil for CFC, and if x426/x430's built in mid to late 1990's had the newer style pistons, seal while undermount condenser UMD/URD type split units types should have stainless steel hoses ( vibrasorbers) anyhow so you dont have an issue with rubber based hoses breaking down.

That being the case, and assuming R502 is still being LEGALLY sold in Philippines, then staying with 502 may be wise and easiest.

xxx.hvacmechanic.com/refrigerants/refrigerants.htm

If R502, 69L ( HCFC r403b) 'drop in' or HP80 ( HCFC r402a) 'drop in ' are not available in Manila, then you need to look at going to HFC 404a with the oil changes to POE ( requires repeated flushes to get the final POE: AB residual ratio up to 97%:3% or better). Time consuming and costly.

Pay close attention to other points as per Reefer Tek's advice on evacc and charging too.

regards
    Remember what Augustus once said:
    "festina lente" - make haste, slowly!

REEFER-TEK Guest

Re: Thermo King Refrigerant Help!

Quote Originally Posted by thermo prince View Post
    Hi all,
    69L was an " interim refrigerant " or bridge mostly used in European markets during the mid 1990's as a drop in replacement for CFC R 502 ( while final step 404a was awaited) with little or no modification required to the existing units of that time. Its a terniary blend containing 56% R22.

A unit with 69L would have used the same AB alkyl benzene oil for CFC, and if x426/x430's built in mid to late 1990's had the newer style pistons, seal while undermount condenser UMD/URD type split units types should have stainless steel hoses ( vibrasorbers) anyhow so you dont have an issue with rubber based hoses breaking down.

That being the case, and assuming R502 is still being LEGALLY sold in Philippines, then staying with 502 may be wise and easiest.

xxx.hvacmechanic.com/refrigerants/refrigerants.htm

If R502, 69L ( HCFC r403b) 'drop in' or HP80 ( HCFC r402a) 'drop in ' are not available in Manila, then you need to look at going to HFC 404a with the oil changes to POE ( requires repeated flushes to get the final POE: AB residual ratio up to 97%:3% or better). Time consuming and costly.

Pay close attention to other points as per Reefer Tek's advice on evacc and charging too.

regards
    T-Prince, how much are you paying forCFC r-12 and CFC R-502, where your at?

We are paying over $56.00 us dollars a pound for thoses cfc's and around $12.00 a pound for the HCHC ternary refrigerants, the cfc 502 and R-12 we get now is recycled stuff, and when that supply is depleted there is no more.

I think i agree that the easiest thing to do is drop in R-502, but concidering what that stuff costs, a blote could spend less than that converting to the R-402a.

URD is a great unit but lets face it, they tend to develop leaks more considering there down by the road picking up debris and stones and whateverelse.

So if he devolps a leak once a year and has to repair and then recharge the system, that will cost a person alot of money over life the whole life of ownership.

any way that,s the way we weight it out here in the states. We go by the saying "pay me now or pay me later"

I think i remain more curious of how you guys do it over where your at.

regards R-T