Smile York Chiller Excessive Purges Problem

We are using York Chillers MODEL # YTH3J3E35COG COMPRESSOR MODEL: YDTL-126 SERIAL # GGDC-011017/18 at Fibre manufacturing plant. Experiencing the problem of excessive purges in one chiller. To address this problem we have replaced the cork gasket installed at the big suction leg . The unit holds the pressure test but evacuation takes long time. The foam test also performed on all joints and didn't find any leakages. After annual repair the chillers was test run but still experienced the same problem of excessive purges. Kindly let me know what is the material of the gaskets used at the suction leg. It is suspected because the vaccum time decreased when the bolts of the suction leg retightened. Please help me in this reagrds, to troubleshoot this problem.

Thumbs up Re: York Chiller Excessive Purges Problem

Imranmd.
    As you seem to have proven yourself. Sometime you can pressurise (leak) test a system and it is gas tight. But when it is put on a vaccum test it leaks!
    Sometimes it can happen the other way round. We then all start relying on good old fashioned luck, to find the leak.
    Anyway it would appear that you may have identified the problem. The fastest solution would be to contact your York (now Johnson Controls ) agents. I cant believe a suction flange gasket would cost that much. Interesting that you are useing "cork". I havn't seen gaskets made of cork for years are you sure you have that correct?
    Grizzly

Yorkguy Guest

Re: York Chiller Excessive Purges Problem

Hi Imranmd,
    Cork is not an acceptable joint material, you should be using a neoprene based joint material such as Blue Guard (Brand name). When you have a leak under vacuum, but not on pressure test, it has been my experience that the fault is an 'O' ring,Not easy to find. try re-pressurizing the system, from vacuum to 0.5Barg and check for leaks.

Yorkguy

i know its an old thread but " **** it " when the machine runs is it showing signs of none condensables if its not, the purge system could be the problem does it have the old york purge system or a new high efficiency purge.

The gaskets u are going to order are Cork/Syn.Rub composite the torque value u will use is 70-80ft.lbs of torque this is a welded stud so clean and lubricate threads the bolts on the compressor side are SAE J429 Gr5 if 7/8"-9 115-130ft.lbs, if 1"-8 115-130 ft.lbs, if5/8"-11 85-100ft.lbs use loctite "rasberry sauce " gasketmaker on both sides of gaskets its a mess but it will work if you cleaned all flange mating surfaces, i hope u drained the unit of water and checked tubes during ur pressure test with ref trace also check your shaft seal, you can also blank off rupture disk and bump the press up to 20psi it is uncommon for the discharge gasket to leak but check it isually leak are found in all the auxillari pipes for the eductor and driers. if u need a part# for gaskets contact me
    I hate dealing with this r123 its nasty stuff

I Deal with a CVHE with 123 . very nasty stuff . I take care of a few York YT's with R-11 with Purge issues . Most of the time I blow it up to 8 pds and find most of the leaks .