Sanyo system needs supplemental heat

I am considering having installed in my home a Sanyo 6HP (240V/60Hz/1 phase) outdoor unit with two indoor ducted air handler units.

In heat mode the home will require about 20.5KW at –12C*. The Sanyo will only produce about 11kw at that outdoor temp. Thus, I will need to have supplemental heat, which I plan on doing with electric heat coils for one air handler and a hot water coil with the other.

Is there anyway to have the Sanyo controls also control the supplemental heat? When I say control, I guess it simply needs to send a signal to a relay or such when the indoor unit is not able to maintain the set temp at the control. This should be when the temp has dropped a certain amount from the set temp at the control. From all the technical material I have read, I can not find any reference that the control can call on a supplemental heat source.

Is there a way to do this?

Re: Sanyo system needs supplemental heat

Hi Mchild

All Sanyo commercial A/C systems have whats called an option socket on the indoor PCB it gives 12dc outputs
    for the following

Unit On signal
    Unit Heat mode
    Unit cool mode
    Unit thermo on
    Unit Defrost mode

[I]t will not give you an indication of the differental from setpoint but you should be able to use it to switch the relay for heat control.

Wire the control signal for the supplemantary heat in series tru a few relays switched by the heat on signal and the thermo on signal. The heat will only come on when the unit is running calling for heat. Wire this then tru a low ambient stat so it only runs at low ambient . Or a room stat set 3-4 degrees off the Sanyo setpoint. and this should suffice.

NB relays have to be within 2 mtrs of the indoor PCB
    Contact your local Sanyo dealer for more info ask about the option plug on indoor PCB

Regards

T

Re: Sanyo system needs supplemental heat

Quote Originally Posted by techguy View Post
    Hi Mchild

All Sanyo commercial A/C systems have whats called an option socket on the indoor PCB it gives 12dc outputs
    for the following

Unit On signal
    Unit Heat mode
    Unit cool mode
    Unit thermo on
    Unit Defrost mode

[i]t will not give you an indication of the differental from setpoint but you should be able to use it to switch the relay for heat control.

Wire the control signal for the supplemantary heat in series tru a few relays switched by the heat on signal and the thermo on signal. The heat will only come on when the unit is running calling for heat. Wire this then tru a low ambient stat so it only runs at low ambient . Or a room stat set 3-4 degrees off the Sanyo setpoint. and this should suffice.

NB relays have to be within 2 mtrs of the indoor PCB
    Contact your local Sanyo dealer for more info ask about the option plug on indoor PCB

Regards

T
    Thank you for your response.

I had seen that info in the technical manuals on the output signals from the indoor PCB and thought that it might be able to be used to provide some necessary signals to facilitate the supplemental heat. I did not know if the controller could call for the supplemental to come on. That would be a nice feature to have as part of the controller.

Supplemental heat nearly always needs to be used with high fan speed. Is there any way to give the PCB a signal when the supplemental heat is activated that the indoor fan should be set to high speed?

Thanks again.