Thread: Bohn BD 0750H2

rebob22 Guest

Question Bohn BD 0750H2

First post as a new member,
    Called out on a commercial high temp cooler that was running warm. Climbing on the roof I found the condenser was off due to oil pressure. Reset the pressure switch and system came on line. Added 50oz of POE oil to system, evacuate compressor and charged. Called out again today and found bubbles in the site glass and warm cooler temp. Tomorrow I'm back out to find and repair leak, however while adding refrigerant this morning, noticed the liquid line was sweating. (The condenser has a headmaster). . When I've run across a restricted drier it's frosting up, but in this case it's only sweating back after the drier, and the site glass shows a dry system. Any suggestions?
    System running R22, Compressor is a copeland discus Model # 2DL3R78KE

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Bohn BD 0750H2

Sounds like a blocked drier.

What is the temperature difference across the drier ?

Also, welcome to the forum.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

rebob22 Guest

I'll re-post after I search for the leak tomorrow. There is a temp difference but not as great as what I've experienced in the past. I'm just dreading replacing this Drier. It's going to be a bear because of it's location, and how close the sweat joints are to the service valves, and site glass.
    I'll up date the post tomorrow, and again thanks for the response.

ran into this on a 40hp discus two weeks ago. end of cottonwood seed release season around here. cond. coil had half inch coat of seed, cond. unit off on high head. washed out coil andreset control. unit came upandran for twenty minutes,sight glass never cleared. liquid pipe started sweating just after dryer.

off to the supply house i go, picked up dryer. pumped out dryer, sweat in new, evacuated,and off to the races. clear sight glass, good pressures, amps at 80%.

4000+ kegs of miller getting cold again, just like magic!

rebob,

Did you find an oil leak?

If not, the oil is still in the system.

rebob22 Guest

Thumbs up Re: Bohn BD 0750H2

No not yet, got to the site this morning @ 6:00 am and the owner must have had one heck of a 4th cause he was a no show. I know my first task is finding the leak and repairing, also once found I'll also replace the drier. With as much oil I injected into the compressor there has to be a sustantial leak somewhere other than the condenser. There was only a slight oil mark on the liquid service valve, but nothing apparently large. I'm hoping it's in one of the two evaps they have in the cooler. It's no more than 40' of pipe from the condenser to the evaps, so I'm hoping it's at the connections, or expansion valves. It's currently set at 50o and it's satisfied temp. Main reason for the post was it was the first time I experienced a sweating liquid line.

Thanks for the help

rebob22 Guest

Talking Re: Bohn BD 0750H2

Thanks to everyone that responded. Found the leak, replaced the drier, and the site glass is clear with no sweating of liquid line.
    Again thanks to everyone for their input.

Now here's the next issue, has anyone ever attempted a repair of a evaporator distributor. Case in point this unit has a brass distributor head, with 8 copper cap tubes. Used 45% SILVER SOLDER WITH FLUX, however don't have the warm and fuzzy it's going to hold. Any suggestions other than replacing the entire distributor assembly????