Hybrid View

Beat This Then !!

just had this droped off for me, have a guess what it is then chaps. http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...1&d=1195907004
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Beat This Then !!

Don't ask it like that!

You make me feel ancient, this type of units was what I learnt on just a couple of moons ago (at least that's how I see it, a calendar might say that it been 20 years)

So what do you want to know about it?
    (apart from the tail-end fan needs replacing)

come on chaps,what make and yearish, trying get the grey matter working.

Hi, old gas bottle

Quote Originally Posted by old gas bottle View Post
    come on chaps,what make and yearish, trying get the grey matter working.
    Sorry cannot help much, but (with all my respect) isn't it cheaper to buy new one ....

....yes, I know there are some stubborn people (me too, sometime) trying and trying until something starts to work...hat off , hope you will succeed...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Quote Originally Posted by the viking View Post
    don't ask it like that!

You make me feel ancient, this type of units was what i learnt on just a couple of moons ago (at least that's how i see it, a calendar might say that it been 20 years)

so what do you want to know about it?
    (apart from the tail-end fan needs replacing)
    its a 2-b-j&e hall ???

SORRY VIKING I WORKED ON THIS COMPRESSOR IN 1960 INSTALLED ON AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING Methyl Chloride THEN CHANGED ALL TO F12 DONT WORRY YOUR STILL YOUNG ,
    CHEERS

I thought I would be clever and copied the thumbnail to photoshop and enlarged it. With each enlargement the picture becomes more distorted. Does the manufacturers name start with "w".
    Definitely a case for "C.S.I. (compressor serviced infrequently).
    It's got me beat Old Gas Bottle can't wait for the answer.
    Grizzly

Based on a casual observation I would say the unit dates back to around 1930-40 (in that range) and may have used something besides "*****". Or at the very least was one of the first ***** units.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

its actuly a J &E HALL unit,was runnig upto a few months ago,i,am going to strip it and paint it for a showpiece,theese things are getting rare over here,been after one or similar for years now,

josip,sorry to mislead you,it was just a tease.

Hi, Old gas bottle

its actuly a J &E HALL unit,was runnig upto a few months ago,i,am going to strip it and paint it for a showpiece,theese things are getting rare over here,been after one or similar for years now,

josip,sorry to mislead you,it was just a tease.
    No, problem at all, just upload a photo after refurbish, please.

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

QUOTE :-
    "its actuly a J &E HALL unit,was runnig upto a few months ago,i,am going to strip it and paint it for a showpiece,theese things are getting rare over here,been after one or similar for years now,"

Damn I even had my old J&E Hall spares catalogue out. But I could not place it, is this the for-runner of what is now known as Bitzer? I think they were formally J&E HALL?
    If it is we have 6 that we still look after at a devon creamery and yes you can still puchase them from J&E Hall Reman.
    fitted 1 earlier this year.
    Grizzly

You will probably find if you ring J & E Hall they still have parts available for it.

Nice piece of kit in its day, it was in opposition to the Frigidaire ADO range of belt driven compressors.

Ian

There's a few old units like that laying around our workshop, not that brand though since I'm in australia. There's heaps of old condensing units and fridges since the company opened shop in 1948.

i will get some bits for it hopefully as i deal with J E HALL ,there just down in the town, thing is they have thrown a lot of stuff out this year that was in storage, [i was offered lots] so it might be to late,i did pick up some very old con rods that were supposed to be off the same machines that were on the titanic,but i take that with a pinch of salt, does anyone know even if there was such machines on there?

as for my little chuger,its going to get a full overhall,found a new brass drier on ebay,got a old TEV from the sixties, rock on

J & E Hall supplied all of the refrigeration equipment for the Titanic, Britanic and Olympic plus the Queens. There is a very interesting book on the history of J & E Hall which is basically a history of refrigeration over the last two hundred years from Air engines to screw machines. I gave my copy to a guy in Gibraltar who's grandfather was the agent for J & E HAll at the beginning of the century. I am trying to get hold of another copy but am struggling.

Ian

It's a Harley!

"shoot" i have the J E HALL book asswell,should have looked,forgot i had it,if you need a copy pooh let me know.

"shoot" i have the J E HALL book asswell,should have looked,forgot i had it,if you need a copy pooh let me know.

Stuff Pooh I want it.

Iv'e seen the copy he had and its a great book.

Cheers taz.

Old Gas Bottle
    Ignore the Taz Bloke, if you have a spare I would appretiate one as it is well worth reading and as a reference document. I was surprised just how much of the worlds engineering development can be linked back to J & E Hall, had any of you out there wondered who invented the ventilators we see every day on buses and airplanes you know the round ball shaped ones, that would be J & E Hall then, and lots of other everyday items.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Old Gas Bottle
    Ignore the Taz Bloke, if you have a spare I would appretiate one
    Ian

I'll read yours then.

taz

Taz
    why not read Andy's it is in the office and he can'y read anyway, he just looks at the pictures.

Ian

got two one each, just cover the p and p and pm me where you want them sending and i,ll treat you. hows that for service.

got two one each, just cover the p and p and pm me where you want them sending and i,ll treat you. hows that for service.

Your a very nice man, a very nice man.
    I don't believe a word that the others say about you.

Pooh's dealing with the information, but I want to thankyou personally.

Thankyou taz.

Well.... what type of refrigerant did that unit use? From the design of the compressor/motor base my guess is it was close to when ***** first came out.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

hi iceman, i would think R12,but not sure,other wise posibley, methol cholride, god knows how you spell it !, after that i,am to young to remember belive it or not

Its not that old about 40 years i reckon, used to work on them in south africa when i was an appy they where normally R12 or R502 SEEN OLDER

I have worked on a few of these in butchers over the years.

Looking at the belt it looks like an optical illusion....lol

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

It actually has alot of similarities to the old TK f4l and f5l coldplate host unit's but I know it isnt
    Last edited by utc/tk foreman; 07-04-2009 at 01:31 AM.

OK everyone ,this is an old post.
    But scanned to pic and thought is was a Hall, 2c, [i think ] they came as 2 cylinder 3 cylinder an V4 clylinder and v6 cylinder, the barrels interchangeable 2 to v4 3 to v6. all valve gear the same, conrods with soldered white metal, heat out to old, melt in the new and machine out to spec., got to learn how to use a lathe pretty quick, get it wrong start again. I would have overhauled dozens of them. Some were splash fed oil others pump fed oil. Slow revving and they lasted for decades. Cargo ships out of UK always had them.
    But then I am old. But was good training.

J&E Hall owned bitzer in the 80's and they were sold in a management buyout. The compressor is a 2 C and was very reliable. I have a couple of copies of the book but i am willing to let one go for the right price...

That looks amost current technology, based on some of the C$%p you see around here!

It is an old Condensing unit, about 30 or so years old. Check for data plate on Unit, Compressor, or Motor for age. probably R-502, and out of an old store, used for cold storage.

Take Care

Hi,
    when i start to work on refrigeration,decade ago,i work with this tipe of units,use like refrigerant CH3CL, i dont know the English name.Sorry.
    If You change the mineral oil with a sintetic one,and charge the units with R134a the units come back alive again.Change the belt too.Clean the condenser coil with compressed air,add a new paint and Welcome in the 1950!
    If You change the oil each year,and the units have a proper maintenance,its all the chances for the units to live more then a human.

abdul rasheed Guest

hy. im REfrigeration engineer from Pakistan i m searching Hvac and Absorption chiller systems. plz help me

Thanks