2aces Guest

Smile Help Super Heat / Subcool?

Hi Guy's,

I am new to air conditioning i work for a small installation with very little service work.I just missed out on going to college this year so i dont know where to look.
    Can anyone help me to understand how you get superheat and subcooling temps and why do we need them?

Also how can i tell what refrigerant is in a system if he unit has no label on whatsoever.

Re: Help Super Heat / Subcool?

Hi 2aces

Welcome to the forum.

I've moved your post to the AirConditioning section which is more appropriate.

At the top of the screen you will find a 'Search' button. Please use this and type in your key words, such as 'Superheat' and read all of the previous posts on the subject.

Best of luck with the college.

Re: Help Super Heat / Subcool?

Welcom 2aces
    You can get the supeheat temp. by doing the following:
    1- Read the suction line temp. (close to the evaporator's outlet) by using a thermometer.
    2- Read the pressure of the suction line from the service valve by usin a gauge suitable for this job.
    3- By using the pressure-temperature chart of the refrigerant used in your system ,you can convert the pressure obtained above to a temperature.
    4-know subtract the converted temperature from the temp. obtained by the thermometer.

for obtaining the subcool temp the same way above is applied but for the otlet of the condenser .

Finally if there is no label on the appliance you can use a refrigerant identifier for this purpose or even using the pressure temperature chart for different refrigerants then compare the results you get with charts of the refrigerants to see the matched one.But sometimes tow or three refrigerants may be matched in few point so be aware also in most systems the type of refrigerant is also printed on the compressor's label

Thank you