Thread: Reluminati !!

Reluminati !!

Ciao Fratelli,

The forum is growing, and we all benefit from the age of information, but more and more end users/FM "multiskilled" engineers are using this site and this could obviously have a negative effect on our industry, be it a reduction in work volume or people attempting to change manufacturers settings etc. due to passwords and sometimes manuals being openly available.

We could have an advanced section where a simple question (that only a fridge/ac would generally know) would have to be answered to allow entry, and if possible a different question each time, or some other form of "verification" I am not suggesting that we alienate novice engineers, or that we should adopt "Masonic" symbols/traditions to communicate.

I have probably made no sense, but I am interested in your opinions (even from the plumbers)!

Remember the first rule of RE: Don't talk about RE!
    The second rule of RE: Don't talk about RE (and buy me a pint)

Tutto il Mondo e un Paese

Re: Reluminati !!

Quote Originally Posted by El Padre View Post
    Ciao Fratelli,

The forum is growing, and we all benefit from the age of information, but more and more end users/FM "multiskilled" engineers are using this site and this could obviously have a negative effect on our industry, be it a reduction in work volume or people attempting to change manufacturers settings etc. due to passwords and sometimes manuals being openly available.

We could have an advanced section where a simple question (that only a fridge/ac would generally know) would have to be answered to allow entry, and if possible a different question each time, or some other form of "verification" I am not suggesting that we alienate novice engineers, or that we should adopt "Masonic" symbols/traditions to communicate.

I have probably made no sense, but I am interested in your opinions (even from the plumbers)!

Remember the first rule of RE: Don't talk about RE!
    The second rule of RE: Don't talk about RE (and buy me a pint)

I have worked with guys in the past who did not pass on information because they were afraid that the person learning would become better than them.

I'm all for keeping skill levels up but most information that is passed on this site is freely available within the industry, so no trade secrets given away.

I do object to giving information to complete idiots but if somone is trying to better themself, then who am I to stop them.

Just my tuppence worth.

coolrunnings

Cool Runnings is correct.
    I understand what you are saying El Padre. And there are more and more cynical and unpleasant answers to posts appearing.
    From what I can only describe as Engineers that know more than some on certain subjects and like to show it.
    The whole purpose of this forum is to help each other. Yes sometimes the ignorant comment will make "Your Blood boil".
    But were we not all beginners once?
    Myself, I tend to read a posters public profile before deciding whether or not to answer.
    Also how much an individual has contributed tends to influence me.
    The choice is yours as to whether to contribute or not.
    Grizzly

further to coolrunnings and grizzly, most of us have an open attitude to teaching, especially those who had/have apprentices of their own.

if people contribute to this forum in an open manner they should be supported, obnoxious posts aside!

alec

I was really referring to end users and non fridge engineers accessing information, I think that this hinders beginners, the last thing that I would have wanted the first time that I saw a VRV would have been a client that has spent the last three weeks gemming up on how it works.

I like cool runnings had the misfortune of working with some people who needed the "ego" trip of holding back information etc. Thats not what I was suggesting.

Anyway, nuff said.

Cheers
    Tutto il Mondo e un Paese

I tend not to forgive for carelessness, e.g. I am an undergraduate and in two hours I have to deliver my work to the teacher, please help me; and for laziness, e.g.: what is superheating and subcooling? (why didn't you try the SEARCH feature).
    Don't mind though helping as much as possible people who are in genuine need of a helping hand.