New 'Super Chilled' technology by Coca Cola

Interesting new concept from Coca Cola, dubbed 'Sprite-Super-Chilled'.
    Apparently allows ice-cubes to form in the bottle once opened.
    Don't panic though, this isn't the end of retail-beverage-refrigeration, the product has to be kept at a 'specific temperature' in specail vending machines!

Anyone any guesses how this is going to work?
    No official word other than it's achieved via a 'mechanism' in the bottle top.

Perhaps a twist on the Nescafe 'hot when you want' self-heating can of coffee. (remember those?)
    Last edited by Youssef; 05-11-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Re: New 'Super Chilled' technology by Coca Cola]

Couple of websites on the topic...
    http://tinyurl.com/23cxrt
    http://tinyurl.com/359zjj

Re: New 'Super Chilled' technology by Coca Cola

This could be done with CAS technology ie cooling the bottles in a magnetic field aand the release of the lid and the formation of the bubbles would add enough energy to the water in the bottle to cause the drink to freeze. We have the this technology in the department and we can chill water to -7C and it remains liquid until energy is added then it freezes.

Ian

the 'super-chilled' Sprite obviously gives the clue it'll be supercooled to below zero degrees, by 'special' vending machines.

A morsel from wikipedia;
    A supercooled liquid will stay in a liquid state beyond the normal freezing point when it has less opportunity for nucleation; that is, if it is pure enough and has a smooth enough container. Once initiated it will very rapidly change state into a solid.

How can you ensure 'nucleation' won't happen when supercooled? and how can it be 'initiated' once disired/opened?
    I've seen this done as a 'party-trick' when a bottle of beer (for example!) is put in the freezer for a time & then tapped & instantly turns to ice, even some examples on the youtube website.
    would this also happen by just opening the bottled drink (beer/sprite)? or if not what kind of 'mechanism' (in the bottle top) would they mean?

PS. what is 'CAS technology' you refer to? & what 'department' do you have this technology in??
    Last edited by Youssef; 06-11-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: PS added

Quote Originally Posted by Youssef View Post

Perhaps a twist on the Nescafe 'hot when you want' self-heating can of coffee. (remember those?)

where did they go? i thought they were great! esp when i forgot the flask
    Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Would not the action of the served bottled rattling through the dispensing chute of the machine be sufficient to start the freeze action?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

If you look at the american patent site there is some more info on this, it appears they are using liquid CO2 in the bottles which sublimates when the pressure is released forming ice crystals.

Ian

rxstevan Guest

Is not sublimation a solid to gas.

Doesn't the freezing beer have somthing to do with Boyles law, under pressure it freezes at a lower temp, when you pop the cap, it releases the pressure, and bam, instant slushie.
    I have seen this many times, but have never seen one freeze from aggitation. Probably because I have never done it. I'll look on youtube.
    Oh, and hello all. I have been lurking around for while and find this site to be very informative and easy going.

Coca-Cola is considering the launch of revolutionary new packaging that will create ice inside a soft drink when it is opened.
    Hold your horses, lets wit and see the outcome, I bet $1000 that it wont last.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by rxstevan View Post
    Is not sublimation a solid to gas.
    He didn't say it was, he said "..into crystals"
    Oh, and hello all. I have been lurking around for while and find this site to be very informative and easy going.
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

1975 ASHRAE Equipment Handbook

Chapter 39. Bottled Beverage Coolers and Refrigerated Vending Machines.

Freezing Point of Beverage.

The freezing point of beverages while still under carbonation pressure in the bottle varies considerably. While some beverages with low carbonation and low sugar will form heavy ice crystals near 31˚F (-0.6˚C), others will remain fluid in the capped bottle at temperatures as low as 21 ˚F (-6.1˚C). Also, sample bottles of the same beverage have been found to vary over a wide range with some bottles showing large amounts of ice crystals at 27 ˚F (-2.8 ˚C), while others showed no ice crystals when sustained at 21˚F (-6.1˚C), even after being shaken and jarred.
    When the cap, (or crown) is removed from a bottled beverage, the freezing point changes radically. Release of the carbon dioxide pressure allows the beverage to assume a consistent freezing point which for many beverages is approximately 29 ˚F (-1.7 ˚C). If the liquid is colder than this when the cap is removed, there is a rapidly growing formation of ice crystals as the temperature jumps to the normal freezing point. This may be desirable in some warmer climate areas of the United States, where customers want to have ice crystals or flake ice form in their bottle when the cap is removed. To accomplish this, the bottle must be vended at a temperature within a narrow range from 1 to 4 F deg below the freezing point of the beverage at atmospheric pressure…….
    No twist of the top or cubes though.