Ice Machine for Sea Water

We are looking for Ice machine on sea water. Any commercial available units in this category. The capacity is @ 2 TPD.
    Preferably working on R 404A.

Re: Ice Machine for Sea Water

what type of ice are you making ? I prefer North Star for flake ice . Sunwell makes a nice slurry (Slush ice) unit

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

I may be stupid here but are you trying to make salt water ice cubes or do you want a sea water condenser?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

The fisherman when go out for cataching, at present are carrying almost 10 Tons of ice with them ( Block) . They are out for alost 5 /6 days. They catch the fish & use the block ice to store them. Now they are thinking to carry a small ice plant on the boat, so that they can save wastage & can use ice as much needed as per the catch.

Hello smpsmp45,

Making ice with sea water is being done and it is not very difficult. What I understand that you want to make 2 Tons of Ice per day, and it should be block ice. I shall appreciate if you please let me know the size and weight of each block, so that I can work out the capacity.

Sea water is brine. On the basis of the specific gravity, we have to lower the evaporation temperature so that the sea water starts forming into ice blocks. I will work on it tomorrow and get back to you.

Geneglace France makes those.
    Why not making fresh water via seawater via the heat of the diesel engines?
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Along the coast of our country, fishing is a big business. There are many small fisherman who go to the sea for weeks for catching the fish. It is not possible to store a large amount of ice for fish storage, so they prefer to have small Ice Plants on board and make the daily requirement of Ice.

There are a large number of such units running very well and they are all locally made.

As stated earlier, I shall give the details in a couple of days as I have to take out my papers on such projects.

The average Sp. Gravity of sea water is 1.025, the freezing point of which is -20oC. To make Block Ice with this water we must have Calcium Chloride Brine at 1.220 Sp. Gravity in the Freezing Tank. The temperature to be maintained of the brine solution in the freezing tank should be -25oC. To achieve this the refrigeration compressor of 14 kw at -30oC Te and 40oC Tc would be required. The Compressors should have a large oil sump as this is to be installed in a fishing boat. I feel it would be better if you chose R 22 instead of R 404A. The water cooled condensers should be suitable for marine application.

If any further details are required, please do contact me and I shall try to help you.

Samarjit, if you have ever the change of taking a picture of these generators, I would like to see those once.

Is it therefore not better tot melt fresh water?
    The compressors runs on such a low pressure on a very bad COP and the ice melts very fast due to the large DT (the eutectic pont of the ice and the ambient temperature)
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Hi Peter 1,

Along the coastal belt of the State where I stay, there are a large number of fishing units. Moreover along the Southern part of our Country along the coast fishing is a big business. Most of them have small boats and they either have a small Freezing Room or small ice plants to make ice.

I have never bothered to take any photographs, but the next time I visit one of these units, I shall certainly take a photograph .

In my long experience in the field of refrigeration and air conditioning, there has been many a project of typical applications. These were such a one.

I am involved with a project to build an ice plant for a small fishing village in Sri Lanka which was devistated by the tsunami, we are looking at using Ziegra machines to produce about 15 tonnes of ice per day, we initially were going to use sea water but due to the polution in the sea around the coast we are now going to use fresh water which has other benefits. With fresh water we can use a smaller plant as we do not have to go so low with the temperature. If the fishing is taking place a good distance of shore then polution should not be an issue. Most manufacturers produce units to run on sea water and some also have compressors that can be driven directly from the main engine to reduce losses incurred by converting to electric and then back to rotary. The only issue I would have is using R404A on board ship as unless you make all pipework very secure vibration will cause small leaks allowing the R134A portion of the refrigerant to escape causing problems.

Ian

samarjit, you may want to correct the freeze point on your sea water. Normal open ocean sea water freezes at -2 dC or 28.5 dF.

Ken

Hello Ken,

You are right. The freezing temperature of the upper layer of sea water is -2oC. As you go deeper the density increases. Secondly the density also increase as you go further from the coast.

At -2oC the sea water starts to freeze but can not be made into hard ice. Like for fresh water 0oC is the freezing point, but to make a block ice we have to have the temperature much lower. Specially in the case of block ice making it is easy to form the ice on the outer layer, but as you approach the centre it takes more time and lower temperature. Sea Water being a brine solution which does not convert to ice easily, has to have a lower temperature to convert the same into block ice. Again the process shall depend on the weight and the dimensions of the Block Ice.

The Client is keen to have flake ice units only & not block ice. I think Geneglace has those machines

Flake Ice is a better proposal for fishing.

Hi iam new to this forum and i have done quit abit of work in ice machines more spcific with GENEGLCE. Apart from GENEGLACE SCOTSMAN,LASCA MAKE such ice genarators I have sean some SCOTSMAN on bord cheers

Hi.

I have years back made a lot of flakeice systems in Yemen for the small fishing towns op the cost from Mukkala to Saihut.

It was when i work for York in Dubai.The compressors was Sabroe SMC 106 and the icemaker was old Atlas/Sabroe.

I do not know if York still make them?

HGS

Many thanks for the great replies

Why do you need an ice machine for sea water?

Try http://www.buus.dk/ or http://www.geneglace.com/anglais/index.htm. Buss are making the old Sabroe-Atlas machines as well as their own very reliable shipboard machine.
    Nobody who can afford flake ice will use block ice for fish. It damages the flesh and doesn't cool the fish nearly as well. Slurry ice is also good but not so developed and probably not available as a shipboard package.

wallly watson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smpsmp45 View Post
    We are looking for Ice machine on sea water. Any commercial available units in this category. The capacity is @ 2 TPD.
    If you are still looking we can supply ice machines suitable for use of sea water on land or shp based, up to 5 tons , R404A, water cooled condensers.

Regards wally

Original post, 2.5 years ago.

djcooling Guest

Hi All, new to this forum. We used to do a lot of fishing boat installations in Cape Town and the major complaint from the clients was with using flake ice, the damage it causes to the fish. We started installing "flo ice" ( pumpable slush ice ) and the quality of fish was greatly increased. just a thought.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djcooling View Post
    Hi All, new to this forum. We used to do a lot of fishing boat installations in Cape Town and the major complaint from the clients was with using flake ice, the damage it causes to the fish. We started installing "flo ice" ( pumpable slush ice ) and the quality of fish was greatly increased. just a thought.
    optimar iceland makes a good slurry by demand unit, they are compact and their latest model comes with a hydraulic motor for the compressor so you only need power for the seawater pumps and ice screw

www.optimar.is
    -Cheers-

Tycho

call acme refrigeration 323-723-2058

sinoceanchina Guest

Dear sir,

We can suply the seawater flake ice machine to be installed on fish boat and produce ice by seawater to freeze fish on sea very conveniently;

R404a system is ok;

If you need, please write to me at lisa.zhu@sinocean.com.cn;

Lisa, an ice machine salesgirl from China.

m1horn Guest

do a news search on slurry ice- there is a new technology from icegen

we are looking for ice machine on sea water. Any commercial available units in this category. The capacity is @ 2 tpd.
    Preferably working on r 404a.
    do you mean sea water for condenser only ?

Most fishing vessels in Alaska use RSW's (refigerated sea water) If there is room for installation of equipment which isn't that bad it makes life much easier. Can keep water just above freezing. Freshness of fish can be maintained better than than all the hassel of using ice.

persnus Guest

Hello
    buus.dk doing all kinds of ice machines both flake ice and slurry. they also produce
    v and vd ice machines as ATLAS / Sabor / JCI produced. they produce from 1000ton to 60 tonnes per day.