water? Evaporative Condensers

Hi All,

I'm using 2 evaporative condensers as part of a NH3 refrigeration system.
    As these condensers are quite large an utilise alot of water, I would like to know:
    a) what can I use the bleed off water for?
    b) Is there a method to clean the water

Any ideas

Thanks,

Re: water? Evaporative Condensers

Hi my sa brother,I dont work with nh3 but i do have experience with evap cond on *****,[a] to regulate the water check the water float it could be faulty[b] to clean the water there is suppose to be a strainer on the inlet of the water pump which is suppose to be clent regularly also you should drain the sump and give it agood clean,also get hold of some detergent from protea chemicals to clean out the sprayers ,

Hi Samian
    I presume the condenser water is treated and do you have an auto bleed set up?
    If you have a manual bleed you will use a lot of water, evap conds use lots of water anyway.
    I have not seen any conds where the bleed water has been reused, we would run to waste.
    We normally leave the cleaning of condensers to our water treatment companies because of the Legionella risk as they test regularly.
    Contact a water treatment company they may have cleaning systems for the bleed water.
    Paul

Your bleed rate is set according to the solids in the water. Your water treatment company test the water to see what they are dealing with and that gives them a staring point. Additional testing is required to see how much additional solids is being picked up by the condenser. Some really dusty or dirty areas may require a higher bleed rate to keep the water within range.

There are a number of chemical-less water treatment systems available, but beware. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors here. I put one earlier this year and waiting to see how well it does. The jusry is still out.

Ken

Gents,

Excellent - Thanks for the feedback.

I've previously used the BAC calculation with the 1.8 litre per 1000k cal. I was hopping to smooth out the calculation to be able to better predict the water bleed rate (for the water make up calculation). And to further aswer a question of mine, How does the daily change in web bulb affect the evaporative condensers water requirements?

At the end of this year, 5 condensers will be used for a warehouse with 5MW (warehouse cooling load).