March   2024
    Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
  • Liquid pressure amplification (LPA)

I realize this is not a new technology, but I would like to get the opinions and comments of others who may have worked on these systems or seen them.

What kind of problems have you seen or heard of?

Is the UK firm the only one selling these now? I did find a website from the UK for these but it has not been updated in almost 4-5 years! That made me wonder if these were still being sold or if the website is waiting to expire by neglect.

My understanding is the original firm was sold to a branch of an electric utility, which was then discontinued until a license was sold to a firm in the UK (the one mentioned in the website as Hy|Save UK.)

No detail is too small to mention.

Thank you for your comments and thoughts.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Liquid pressure amplification (LPA) started by US Iceman View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
      RONB -
      I have fitted quite a lot of the Hysave LPA pumps here in thr UK. They have been fitted in tandem with inverter head pressure control systems. We generally get the head pressure running around 150 psi and the pump outlet runs between 12 to 14 psi higher than the head pressure. You have to be careful with the piping arrangement on the pump inlet side (bends etc). And you also need a constant liquid feed to the pump ,so we draw the refrigerant directly from the bottom of the receiver. There is also a recirc line for low load conditions. They also help if you have a large store that has cases a long way away from the pack that may suffer from liquid starvation. I have tried this out by putting a sightglass at a case that struggled to get to temp,and found the glass bubbling when the plant is running on high demand. Once the LPA was up and running we never had any temperature problems with the case again due to starvation. The only major problems we have had is the pump controller. They operate off two transducers one on the pump inlet and one on the pump outlet by differential pressure. The controllers kept locking up due to electrical interference. Overall they seem to do what it says on the tin as they say.
      Gary -
      Wouldn't mechanical subcooling near the pump inlet be a viable means of preventing cavitation?
      joe magee -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
      Wouldn't mechanical subcooling near the pump inlet be a viable means of preventing cavitation?
      Why? The purpose of the hysave is to raise liquid line pressure without raising discharge pressure. Balance port valves will work with very low liquid line pressures.
      By using a mechanical subcooler you would need additional compressor capacity.
      Free subcooling is fine with a hysave. Most of the racks I work on have mechanical subcoolers. We used to have a 70 degree min drain leg temp. We can now drop it down to 55 degrees going into the subcoloer and drop it down another 10 degrees. the capacity we get out of our txv's is great. The only downside would be the added refrigerant due to the flooded condenser.
      Gary -
      Would subcooling prevent cavitation?
      nhuzain -
      what is the super heat
      Josip -
      Hi, nhuzain

Quote Originally Posted by nhuzain View Post
      what is the super heat
      What do you think it is?

Best regards, Josip
      joe magee -
      Nhuzain. Good one. Remember, Every refrigeration issue can be traced back to superheat and subcooling.
      botrous -
      Hi US Iceman,
      How are you doing ,

I think that Marc Obrian have these pumps in the UK.

http://fridgetech.com/hysave_lds/

Regards
      jragosta -
      Quote Originally Posted by RONB View Post
      I have fitted quite a lot of the Hysave LPA pumps here in thr UK. They have been fitted in tandem with inverter head pressure control systems. We generally get the head pressure running around 150 psi and the pump outlet runs between 12 to 14 psi higher than the head pressure. You have to be careful with the piping arrangement on the pump inlet side (bends etc). And you also need a constant liquid feed to the pump ,so we draw the refrigerant directly from the bottom of the receiver. There is also a recirc line for low load conditions. They also help if you have a large store that has cases a long way away from the pack that may suffer from liquid starvation. I have tried this out by putting a sightglass at a case that struggled to get to temp,and found the glass bubbling when the plant is running on high demand. Once the LPA was up and running we never had any temperature problems with the case again due to starvation. The only major problems we have had is the pump controller. They operate off two transducers one on the pump inlet and one on the pump outlet by differential pressure. The controllers kept locking up due to electrical interference. Overall they seem to do what it says on the tin as they say.
      Does anyone know if there is an LPA system available that works on ammonia systems? I know of one company that is working on it, but nothing available at this time. I would appreciate any info. Thanks.
      TXiceman -
      When they first came out with the LPA system, I coud not justify how it would work in my mind. I still do not see how this works. it seems to defy the laws of thermodynmaics.

Anyone have any ideas on how you can explain it with thermodynamics.

Ken
      mad fridgie -
      Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
      When they first came out with the LPA system, I coud not justify how it would work in my mind. I still do not see how this works. it seems to defy the laws of thermodynmaics.

Anyone have any ideas on how you can explain it with thermodynamics.

Ken
      It more practical , which give theoretical performance.
      basically it all about the expansion device, you need a certain pressure difference to drive the correct amount of liquid througn a valve, You could just size your valve for a very small pressure differnce (like you would have in winter) but come summer the pressure difference would be much higher, the selected valve would be effectively to big, would hunt and could cause flood back. So you size your valve around max conditions normally, so in winter your control your liquid pressure by controlling fans or water flow. Basically falsly increasing the head pressure, which uses more power. By letting the head pressure drop (less power draw) then elevating the liquid pressure to meet the expansion valve design.
      You use less power to elevate a mass of liquid than you do to elevate the same mass of vapor by the same pressure increase.
      The other benefit is that by elevating the liquid pressure, you have effectivly sub cooled the liquid, so reducing the chance of flash gas being formed. (again bad for the expansion device)
      In many cases the system have been failures due to cavitation on the pump, would easily be fixed with a dedicated sub cooler prior to pump entry (as gary as indicated) just like pumped overfeed systems care must be taken when sizing suction head and pressure drop
      Steve Wright -
      We have installed some years ago in supermarket applications. They seemed to be most effective when the condenser was on the roof probably because of the issues Gary spoke of.

It did allow us to float the head down, this was before balanced port TXV were readily available for supermarket applications.

US Iceman we just installed our first Magna-Tex pump have you used any?
  • Recent Forum Posts

KguaooAton

Wanted to know what your opinion is on this topic

I was really itching to treat some wager some money on some sports matches that are episode fitting now. I wanted to allow in you guys know that I did

KguaooAton 28-03-2024, 12:06 PM Go to last post
    HerbertBup

kraken5.at

Manchester United’s teenage sensation Kobbie Mainoo shows the way forward in rollercoaster season
    kraken2trfqodidvlh4aa337cpzfrhdlfldhve5nf7njhumwr7instad

HerbertBup 28-03-2024, 05:11 AM Go to last post
    mywheelspk

Re: DAIKIN VRV 111 fault

Thanks for sharing this post toyota yaris 1.3 price in pakistan

mywheelspk 26-03-2024, 07:52 PM Go to last post
    niladri

Re: Daikin Atherma model EMRQ8AAY1

The Daikin Atherma model EMRQ8AAY1 represents a significant advancement in energy-efficient heating solutions. Recognized for its reliability and superior

niladri 26-03-2024, 11:52 AM Go to last post
    Teddyssipl

dark markets 2024 xvmen

darknet markets onion vgk darknet site afs dark market onion wlu darknet magazine cwb darknet markets onion address isi dark market link

Teddyssipl 24-03-2024, 08:54 AM Go to last post