PDA

View Full Version : condensation on window

philjd26
20-10-2007, 02:54 PM
hi,have a retail shop below(the misses) an apartment block with a couple orf splits outside under neath apt window approx..10 rft away......thing is the tenants are complaining that the ac below is causing condensation on ther window...i cant imagine this being the case, however wondering can anyone have any experience on this and could explain how....as i have to go round tomorrow and explain and would toi sickin the nobs..

rgds phil

The Viking
20-10-2007, 03:10 PM
If these units are heatpumps, then whenever they go in to defrost there might be a mist/steam being blown out of the coils.

philjd26
20-10-2007, 03:16 PM
hi viking ye i know what you mean...there heat pumps alright,in normal heat/cool operation is this possible? any way around it?

rgrds phil

Brian_UK
20-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Also if in cooling mode the warm condenser air could encourage a change of humidity in the locality and condense on their windows.

I would be prepared for some comment on the noise at night or quiet Sundays etc. ;)

John Hunter
20-10-2007, 11:55 PM
There are two conditions that could come in to play here and would depend what mode the Heat pump unit was in.
While on cooling the air coming off the condenser will be warm relative to the atmosphere and as it rises could absorb moisture from the environment air. When this air stream hits the cold glass of the windows above it could be reduced to dew point and cause condensation. While on heating the cold air would not tend to rise but if it was it could be sub cooling the window glass and cause the ambient air to condense. I think this would only happen in certain weather conditions. Yes noise could be an issue??

BigJon3475
21-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Are you sure the condensation is on the outside of the window? And is it doing this in heat mode or cool mode?

philjd26
21-10-2007, 01:57 PM
the misses told me she mainly uses it for cooling so they may have a point, i going to ask when is it noticable,more than likely its a cool day so, as cool drops instead of rises it cannot possibly be the ac....in regards noise its an inverter and think the db is 70 so its not problem there...i will be doing more on this as can you believe this" they looking for money for maintenance on windows" the w*nkers....is there any factors to consider bout the temp inside the apt or anything?

rgrds phil

BigJon3475
21-10-2007, 02:56 PM
If there isn't enough fresh air return I have seen the condensation form on the inside of windows during winter time. When the inside temp is relatively high with high humidity and the windows are below the due point moisture will form on the inside of the windows that's why I ask which side of the window was the condensation on.