PDA

View Full Version : water cooling storage system

Lc_shi
15-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Hi dear sirs
One hotel facility manager ask me if it feasible to use big water storage tank to keep cooling capacity(by valley electricity) and cut the normal electricity bill.

I hear little about water cooling storage system. Anybody here can teach me something about this topic.
Thanks in advance!

regards
LC

AmmoniaMan
15-10-2007, 03:26 AM
Dear Lc Shi
Please visit the BAC webpage
They have good info on Ice Storage application. Tell me if it suits your needs. I think you can download info on applications from the page

Tesla
15-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi Lc shi
I have only come accross two types. Chilled water storage at an embasy who wanted to keep the load very secret - ie we had no idea what the load was. There we used about 2000 litres in two tanks to add capacitance to system to help prevent short-cycling the chiller. The other was in a 40 story building where ice holdover was used. About 2 * 8000 litre tanks were used. The plastic tanks had lots of plastic 20mm pipe inside of which brine flowed through. They ran the chillers at night ( off peak power prices ) to produce an ice bank. Abit like a very big postmix machine that makes fizzy drinks. There is a long payback period for the later, then that depends on how much one pays for the power and how big the system is.

smpsmp45
15-10-2007, 11:45 AM
We have done no of projects wherein the chilled water temp requirements are in the region of 2 deg c. For that we had used Ice bank tank system & it works very well. Infact York too had done similar systems earlier.

Ravi
18-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Tesla hit the nail on the head. There is no common cure pill for all diseases. You should always break even the investment cost and operating cost. Some pointers from my side are,

:)

1. Free space around for the tanks
2. Dual tariffs for electricity (lower during nights)
3. Penalty for exceeding maximum demand (of electricity) i.e to stagger initiation of equipment
4. Require lower temperatures
5. Load pattern is too volatile
6. Plant capacity is too low for peak loads
7. If your company anticipates something new from their engineers every time (this is spooky but my last, cash rich, company was one of that kind)

:mad:

1. Chilled water temperature requirement is not below +5C
2. Cost of capital is high
3. Peak load vs installed capacity doesn't differ by significant proportions.
4. The power consumption of compressor increases significantly at lower temperatures (why to go upto 0C when you require +5C?)
5. Increased pumping power (one more pump will be added)

Lc_shi
22-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Point taken!

your comment is helpful to me. thanks!

regards
LC

PVA
17-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Dear Lc Shi
Also you can visit firm buco in the net, this company makes different equipment for ice and ice-water

chemi-cool
17-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Usually the reason is to save energy and cool the water at night.

For this reason I would check ice storage. this would give you longer time untill the compresors come into work.

Chemi :)

botrous
28-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi Luchian and Chemi and all . . .

For cool energy storage I prefer to find a solution (might be glycol) to cool it to a tempreture below the service tempreture from the source so it keeps cool for a longer period when using it.

Respects and regrads