PDA

View Full Version : comp oil

headgasket
13-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi can any one help me with this one, on Friday i had to change a comp on a freezer condensing unit ( hubbard ) the new comp was a frascold, with clavius 68 in it, on the old system there was no indication of what oil was in the system, i only know it was mineral, It is on R22, suspect it was 3GS,but not sure, had a dilemma could not get any info, could have changed the oil in the comp, but did the system have the same oil ?. question if there is two different oils in the system now, will they mix
the hubbard unit was 3hp r22h with a frascold comp

monkey spanners
14-10-2007, 05:38 PM
I believe clavus 68 is eqivalent to suniso 4GS, so the system will have some residual thinner oil in it, having been on 3GS before. I remember Frascold recommending different viscosities for different temerature ranges, maybe you could check with them or the wholesaler and see what they recommend for your application. Sometimes different oils go frothy in the crankcase, sometimes they don't. If you are concerned, why not change the oil after its run over the weekend. Its always worth checking the oil level on a replaced compressor, which i rearly do:o once took out nearly three times the correct amount from a l'unite Tag compressor after it had run overnight, previous comp having failed due to short of gas/lp cycling.

Jon

headgasket
14-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for that jon