PDA

View Full Version : sell domain name

LRAC
13-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi guys

any of you out there bought domain names in the 90's for your companies, we bought a couple and 1 reaches the top of googles natural listings, under "refrigeration equipment" search.

we don't have much use for it anymore and we got a call out of the blue from a name trader offering to buy the name for 1 of their clients, all hush hush you Know no names given.

We have recieved an official letter asking us to open negotiations for the domain.

The offer on the table at the moment is £ 35,000 quid, question is do we take the money and run,or are we selling ourselves short.

Never thought it would be valuable and worth something:confused::confused::confused: what do you reckon.

WebRam
13-10-2007, 03:38 PM
take the money

Pooh
14-10-2007, 02:21 PM
LRAC
try testing the water, may be worth a bit more, you can only ask

Ian

chillin out
14-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Take the money and run.

Chillin:):)

Abe
14-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Take the money and run.

I agree, Im staggered by the amount offerred

chillin out
15-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I agree, Im staggered by the amount offerred
This is cheap, some names sell for quite a bit more.
Going by what I am guessing his domain name is, its good money for it. I would doubt another chance would come along for this much money.

LRAC
16-10-2007, 09:26 AM
You are all quite right it is a lot of money, the company offering to buy the domain are already advising us on how best to sell the domain, its registered to the company name, they have said that their client will wait for us to transfer the domain into the Directors name and so pocket the money without touching the company accounts for "tax" reasons.

At the moment i don't know what to do, i keep thinking about the money and how to spend it, but on the other hand "is it too cheap".

As you can imagine the wife says sell as quick as possible but with the growth of domain names is it worth keeping as a pension fund and sell in 20 years time????????

Abe
16-10-2007, 09:54 AM
You are all quite right it is a lot of money, the company offering to buy the domain are already advising us on how best to sell the domain, its registered to the company name, they have said that their client will wait for us to transfer the domain into the Directors name and so pocket the money without touching the company accounts for "tax" reasons.

Graham

Hang Fire
I smell a big rat
I really do

When people start mentioning a " tax evasion" theres a sting ( Cause then you then cant take action against that party as you are part of the scam )

Please get some advice from your Solicitor or Accountant

Abe

LRAC
16-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi Abe

Done just that and awaiting the results, the company acting for the purchase are accountants, based in Leeds.
They have put no time limits on the exhange and are quite open with all the details except who wants to buy it?

It would make a big difference to the company accounts with more tax payed on corporation tax because of the selling of assets and the VAT as well.

If sold private no tax or VAT is payable,same as selling something on Ebay:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for the PM Abe.

Abe
17-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I think the reason I questioned was cause there was mention about you transferring the title to the name "before " the money would be paid to you.

If you assume that the domain name represents an asset, like a car or house for instance, when a transfer is made the contracts are exchanged simultaneously and the money is transferred at the same time.

The danger being, if you release title to the name, without receiving the money upon transfer, the purchaser could then dissapear

Anyway, good luck with the sale

paul_h
26-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Sell, domain names are worth squat. Extensions are becoming more varied, ie .net , .co , .com, etc. they all become worthless if others show up on a google search due to better optimizations.
Anyone who wants to have the same name can do it another way (ie different extension) and still come ahead of your domain in web search engines.
I just registered my domain today :)

nh3wizard
26-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Take the money!!!!!!!!!

LRAC
26-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Papers to be signed within 2 weeks and sold for £39,000.
The best christmas ever:D:D:D

nh3wizard
26-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Best of luck! Dont spend all in one place!

chillin out
26-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Don't spend it before you get it!!

Hope it all goes OK for you.

Abe
27-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Sorry if I sounded sceptical in my earlier post, but I was only trying to be sure.

But happy all turning out well and well done. Enjoy

LRAC
27-10-2007, 11:03 AM
just waiting for the paperwork and its a bit like a customer telling you that your quote has been accepted.
Nothing is certain till the money is in the bank and cleared ;)