PDA

View Full Version : Burn out procedures

reggie
09-01-2003, 12:12 PM
Ive just fitted a rebuilt compressor 20 HP part wind which failed due to two phasing. On strip down the engineers informed me that they found lots of pink inside it and this indicates moisture.
Not wanting to hire a crane out again and go through the same process in a couple of months ive fitted a new liquid line drier and suction burn out drier. How long should i leave the burn out in for in an ideal situation? Or should i just go back and take a ph test kit each week?

Prof Sporlan
09-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Ideally, you want to remove the suction line filter-drier once the acid has been removed for the system. A replaceable core type filter-drier makes this easy... Simply replace the core with a suction filter element, or leave the shell empty. A Sporlan RSF-4811-T shell with an RC-4864-HH core would be correct here (assuming a 1-3/8" OD suction line).

If the problem is you used a sealed model filter-drier in the suction line for cleanup... Actually, with a 20 ton a/c system, you would have some difficulty finding a sealed model filter-drier large enough to do this. So the Prof will assume you have a shell in the suction line.

With the system getting some reasonable operational duty, a week of two will be plenty of time to allow the drier to do its work.

Kathleen
14-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Reggie,

I will suggest that you take a oil ph for the first time at one week, the second within a two week of the first one. You can go up to three tests depending on the result, on the degree of burnout on your system

Usually i suggest a oil change after a week are two of running, especially if the oil test is marginal.

kathleen

zolar1
15-01-2003, 05:44 AM
Is there a pH type sight glass like the moisture indicator types?

Prof Sporlan
17-01-2003, 05:27 AM
Is there a pH type sight glass like the moisture indicator types?

None the Prof is aware of. Mmmmm... must give some thought to this.. :)

zolar1
17-01-2003, 01:27 PM
If you indeed invent one, can I get the first one off the line (at wholesale of course! LOL)

Zolar

superheat
21-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Should be possible to make one. I bet it would sell very well too. Hey prof, get Sporlan to do this and I will never buy ALCO again.

herefishy
21-01-2003, 08:00 PM
HEY!!!!!!.... Ditto, here......

A ph/moisture combo sightglass would be "stock" on my trucks!!!!!

Prof Sporlan
22-01-2003, 01:58 AM
Should be possible to make one. I bet it would sell very well too. Hey prof, get Sporlan to do this and I will never buy ALCO again.

Alco? :eek: The Prof seems to recall that brand name.... :p

The Prof confirmed with his chemists that this issue had been considered a number of years ago. Apparently, finding an indicator that will change color consistently at the appropriate acid numbers, and not get itself dissolved in the refrigerant proved a bit of a problem. Might just have to get them to look at that problem once again.. :)

superheat
22-01-2003, 03:13 AM
Prof, Look in Sporlans rear veiw mirror. Alco is the company back there trying to copy all of your stuff and make it cheaper. They are doing a good job on the cheap part.

zolar1
22-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Sigh......well, maybe an indicator could be installed on the suction line near the compressor........doesn't acid give off vapours?

Perhaps one that you could open and replace the indicator like a core-type dryer?

How about an electronic version?

zolar1
22-01-2003, 07:57 AM
Wait a sec.........

How about one that if the indicator is missing (dissolved) within a period of time - say less than 1 year, the tech would instantly know something's amiss (acid ate the indicator away) and do further diagnostic's?

If it's dissolved after a year, test the system as you would regularly do and install a new indicator?

Prof Sporlan
22-01-2003, 04:17 PM
If it's dissolved after a year, test the system as you would regularly do and install a new indicator?
LOL! And while the tech is at it, he might as well replace the compressor. :)

superheat
22-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Prof it is coming to that point. I had a small glass chiller in a bar, 404 system. I just replaced the compressor last summer. Evap sprung a leak and contaminated the POE oil. I offered 2 prices: change oil and new compressor. Difference in my cost is $60. That is what the difference I quoted too. I had to do the same work to change the oil as change the compressor. I convinced them the new comp. was worth the difference in price.