PDA

View Full Version : hubbard 460a twin

Swampy
11-10-2007, 09:54 PM
been asked to check out a friends van. found and repaired a few problems and went to recharge. thing tripped on hp. scratched head on twigged if revs rise so does discharge. there is no weight on unit. do i charge at a specific rev and if so what is it? i'm normally found on chillers and static refigeration soi've checked for non-cons and such.
any help and advice would be greatful

tran scot
12-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi swampy !
usually the units are charged by the sightglass depending on gas type!
if unit is 404 make sure that liquid is put in at small amounts ie open manifold 5 secs then close again otherwise liquid damage is possible to comp!
if need be drop me a pm and I'll get back to you

Brian_UK
12-10-2007, 12:22 AM
I don't know about these units so don't take this as gospel but when I used to do cars and planes I used to try and run them at about 2000rpm plus the sightglass (if visible).

geoffthefridgem
12-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi I work at present for Hubbards so hopefully should know a bit about them. Firstly have you given it a good vac out,then make sure that the sightglass is perfectly clear you can remove the nut on the back of sightglass with a 13 mm spanner and clean with cotton bud,as you need to fill untill the sightglass is full on tickover. As the refrigerant used is R404a you will need to liquid fill.(I know I may be teaching you to suck eggs but bear with me.)If you cant get it to chill check txv orifice as this may be blocked especially with Galaxy hoses. Just to add if you keep getting air in the system it may be the shaft seal drawing in air especially if its a Sanden compressor.
I hope this is of some use.Regards geoffthefridgeman

Swampy
14-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the help. I seem to be getting somewhere now. What sort of pull down time would you expect on the freezer side. Approx 36ft vol.
swampy

clivemtk
14-10-2007, 09:54 PM
hi geoff have you a wiring diagram and schematic for 460a twin

geoffthefridgem
15-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi Clive,Yes I do have one:) on cd somewhere but cant find it:(.So if you have a fax no let me know and I will fax one to you.:)
regards geoff.

clivemtk
17-10-2007, 10:16 PM
hi geoff tried faxing before lose some major wires is it possible to photocopy if i send my address

geoffthefridgem
17-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi clive just send me your email address and I will get someone in the office to send you one.My email is geoffandkim@btopenworld.com

sparrow
30-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Hello all,

I am approaching people and company's at the moment with the view of taking a course on vehicle based air conditioning and transport systems.
Does anyone have any ideas on the best value for money courses?
All help much appreciated, thanks in advance.

nike123
01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
You should purchase Autodata CD.
http://www.autodata.ltd.uk/

ttb
28-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Southern sales & services in southampton have a good training school.
the guy there is Jules Freeman.
They have a car airconditioning rig,
with fault simulation built in.

abbsnowman
29-11-2008, 06:32 PM
With all due respect to all posting in this forum. Why would you be teaching someone the "back yard" way to charge? Were I come from we use a scale, a micron gauge, oh and nitrogen. If weight is not available we use our PT chart. We change driers, and we check orfice screens before we charge to avoid doing everything twice.
No offense intended but I'm sure the Mod's on this site would like to uphold the quality of information provided here.

SKOOBY
30-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Quite agree with you Abbs.
There is no short cuts on direct drive units.
You have to check and everything and all operations
Or they bite you on the old backside:eek:

Swampy
17-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I would like to say that if you need help you ask the people that know. i've worked on static refrigeration for years but when confronted with a vari-speed compressor it helps to get advice. your pt chart method is fine at tick over revs but stick it on a motorway and you'll soon pop the hp.

manxaircrest
11-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Transport has always been on its own ?? ever since the days when Petter and Tk used to tell you to "dump the charge to atmosphere" "purge it through change the drier and recharge it" always fixed it in the middle of the night ! oh how times have changed eh ? I've heard of quite a few Transport to Commercial moves but rarely the other way round, something about laying in the gutter and smelly diesel engines possibly !

abbsnowman
19-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Transport has always been on its own ?? ever since the days when Petter and Tk used to tell you to "dump the charge to atmosphere" "purge it through change the drier and recharge it" always fixed it in the middle of the night ! oh how times have changed eh ? I've heard of quite a few Transport to Commercial moves but rarely the other way round, something about laying in the gutter and smelly diesel engines possibly !

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding what your saying but I am quite happy doing transport and can't see myself wearing a collar shirt and carrying my complete tool collection in a belt. Ya, my hands may be dirtier than yours but I am definatly as good a Tek.
Cheers to my HVAC buddies. To each thier own!:)