PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint FF91 temperature problem

srumbles
10-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Hi,

I am new to this site and looking for some advise, hopefully you can help me?! I have a heating problem with my fridge part of my fridge/freezer. The freezer is fine however the fridge section has been varying between 4 and 22 degrees, currently it is staying at 22 degrees.

I have read several of your forum discussions on similar subjects but wanted to get a confirmed opinion of my problem.

There is some ice at the rear of the freezer section but the pipe to the fridge is not blocked at all however the fan in the center of the freezer does not appear to work, should this be working/spinning all the time??? and will it spin while the door is open??

I am guessing from previous topics that I may need to replace the thermistors???

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

srumbles

BigJon3475
10-10-2007, 09:54 PM
If the compressor is running the fan should run.....I believe. Not formiluar with your unit. If the fan is not running have you looked to see if said ice is possible causing the blades to not spin. I would do a manual defrost and allow all ice to melt and then make sure the drain is not clogged. If it's a shaded pole motor it's most likely not the fan they rarely go out.

srumbles
11-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your response, I checked that the fan was free to spin ok and it does. It seems ro run without too much resistance if I spin it manually.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

srumbles.

srumbles
16-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi,

I have defrosted the freezer (left it for 48 hours +), initially the temperature dropped but it then went straight back up to around 20 deg.

I have taken the fridge apart and noticed that now, the fan does spin but only occasionally. If I press the light switch in the fridge (i.e make it think the fridge door is shut) the fan wont always spin and when it does spin it only does so for about 5 secs. One thing I did notice is that if I press/depress the light switch rapidly the fan will always spin but again only for a short time.

Could it be an electrical problem?? loose connection perhaps??

Again any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

srumbles

sparrow
16-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi scrumbles,

I would like to ask did you hear the compressor coming on and cutting out,at regular intervals? I take it from your description that this is a frost free unit is that correct? if the comp was running how long did it run for after the initial start up following defrost.

Sparrow

srumbles
17-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi Sparrow,

When the door is shut or button is held shut I can hear a noise for approximately 5 secs and then it stops. Again this is not happening everytime the door is closed or button is held just randomly.

Yes you are correct it is a frost free freezer, there is some ice at the rear of the freezer but it is not stopping the fan from spinning at all.

I am not sure exactly how long it ran after the defrost as I wasn't at home but it must have been for some time as the temp did drop to 3/4 degrees.

Thanks,

srumbles.

srumbles
21-10-2007, 12:24 PM
HI,

Just to let you know in case it helps anyone I replaced the yellow thermistor and it seems to have done the trick. It dropped to the set temp straight away and has been good for a few days now!

Thanks,

srumbles

sparrow
30-10-2007, 10:29 PM
:DWell done Scrumbles, sorry i was away on an Air conditioning course for a while, glad you have sorted the problem though.:cool:

Dani
25-01-2010, 10:38 PM
i have this exact same problem and my unit is just out of warranty. Can any of you guys recommend best course of action, how much approximately is this going to cost me to get fixed parts/labour etc and should I call hotpoint and ask for them to provide an engineer or is it better/cheaper to call in someone local - and if the latter anyone can recommend anyone in the northolt area of West London. UK

Like the previous posts I have seen, my temp of the fridge is a steady 18 degrees and no amount of resetting and saving will alter that.

I'd be grateful for any advice - except the buy the part and do it ya self cos.. well I'm hopeless lol ty in advance

tonto33
26-01-2010, 01:05 AM
you need to replace the yellow thermistor and will sort problem it may be worth replacing green one as well at same time as that what i always do on these hotpoints

fridge doctor
27-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Well Dani, let's just say 'srumbles' was lucky. And he had the good fortune to be guided by the experience of this forum. Clearly though 'srumbles' also knew one end of a pair of snips from a klixon, and that obviously helped him to achieve a result. By your own admission though, you are not terribly au fait with 'hands on' stuff. So with the best will in the world, I strongly recommend you seek expert help. And in the absence of actual recommendations (which are always best), you may have to resort to yellow pages, and possibly be ripped off - which is tough. But if you earn your living in some other -entirely unrelated way - you must expect to have to face these challenges...

Ask questions, choose the best option, get the people in and don't pay until it is fixed.