PDA

View Full Version : standardisation of fault codes?

kelvin kline
09-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I come across all makes of ACU`s in my day to day work.I carry most (I think) fault codes, or have access to tech help sites.If you are only working on one brand of machinery, you will get to know it inside out...but why can`t the industry standardise the fault codes and indicators?
I feel we as service engineers are being asked to absorb more and more technology and keeping abreast of it is almost impossible....you would spend more time training than working.All the main players have similar fault diagnostis, but the codes and systems of identification are all different.As a refrigeration engineer who does about 20% a/c work, it is sometimes frustrating having to ask for help.At the end of the day we are looking for a system to cool/warm/humidify air, why does it have tro be so complicated...technology for the sake of it in most cases.
I must confess, that I hate air con work.....give me refrigeration any day.

Brian_UK
10-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Agreed, the kit is far too complicated for what it achieves but, hey, that's progress ;)

As far as standardization goes then don't hold your breath. If they did that then there would be cries of collaboration, or spying, between them all.

The awkward thing with codes is that unless every manufacturer has exactly the same number of fault codes then there has to be different lists. The number range would have to be extended to leave gaps for the extra faults that one firm wants but the others don't.
A bit Beta-max/VHS fight I would imagine.