PDA

View Full Version : sliding strip curtains

smpsmp45
07-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Has any one used Sliding strip curtains for cold stores? What is the experience?

thermokool
07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
I have used them they work fine must be fixed well or they (the customer) will pull the curtain down
but we find the customers never slide them back in place
also make shore there is room to slide
ie no shelving in the way and the wall is long enough

not that i would make that **** up (again)

simon

aawood1
09-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi SMPSMP 45, The sliding strip curtains that we have fitted to a coldstore, Open automatically from a PIR sensor. The linkage seem's to wear out where it connect's to the curtains and the air heater overload do not seem to last. We have changed them now the door is not covered by the makers and it look's like the new overload work better. Main thing is that they do not get bent when hit by a fork lift truck.
Arthur

smpsmp45
10-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Dear aawood1,
Interesting information. Thanks

Polo
21-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Hello, we've been working with the large supermarkets to come up with an alternative thermal strip curtain over the last 12 months (feels longer, much longer!!!). The main thing seems to be the need to make it user friendly or the staff simply find a way of removing them or tieing them up out of the way. Out of the many stores we've worked with, the main culprit seems to be the middle manager - if they don't like them their staff follow suit, if they see the benefits (energy saving, reduced condensation build up, less ice dropping on the floor) they ensure the staff have respect for them. The strips need to be light (so as not to pull product off the roll cages) and have soft edges so staff are not injured. Hope this helps (tis one of my first posts!).

smpsmp45
24-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Recently I came across a new design of strip curtains. By a Company based in UK. They claim it is one of the efficient design.

Josip
24-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi,smpsmp45 :)

Recently I came across a new design of strip curtains. By a Company based in UK. They claim it is one of the efficient design.

...another way to solve the problem is to install so called "fast doors"...., but more expensive way too ;)

....all must be considered in the time when start designing the plant.....later on any modification is very hard and very expensive....

Best regards, Josip :)

Ashley
25-01-2008, 12:18 PM
We are just putting up a new coldstore and have specified a fast action door as well as the usual fridge door on the entrance. Idea is that the main door can be left open while the operators can be running in and out. Personally I hate the strip curtains, and like you say, more often than not they are either tied up in knots or else they are ripped down on purpose. We did have an eye injury because of the use of these. Forklift went through and the flick back after the curtain came over teh top hit a guy in the eye.

Definately do not put a manual slider on.... It will only slide one way and end up rusting into the open position!!!! Experience!!!!

thermo prince
27-01-2008, 01:54 PM
We recc always on refrigerated delivery vans and trucks -those with multi drops in city as opposed to long distance or point-to-point single drops.

Drivers everywhere hate them - you find them torn, twisted in knots etc- as they tend to slap you in face a bit as you enter / exit truck, along with wetting/ greasy stains on your clothes. :eek:
We launched 12v/24vdc motorized version as option but it never took off after (good) trials.

Curtains are useful and they save energy plus aid in temp recovery after openings.

How to educate cold store workers, warehouse foremen and drivers ?.... it's an ongoing struggle I fear. :rolleyes:

regards
T-P

smpsmp45
28-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi Josip,

Yeah! We to ohave installed Four Fast action doors along with Sliding doors at one site recently. In TWo of the doors, however due to site conditions we could install Vertical action doors & on other two Hz sliding doors - Rapid could be fitted. We are getting very good results on that now.

Ashley
28-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi Josip,

Yeah! We to ohave installed Four Fast action doors along with Sliding doors at one site recently. In TWo of the doors, however due to site conditions we could install Vertical action doors & on other two Hz sliding doors - Rapid could be fitted. We are getting very good results on that now.

Do you find that the main sliding doors can be left open and that the fast action doors are able to prevent temperature creep in the fridge area?

smpsmp45
28-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Atleast that is what is happening now a days. We have to see during summer & monsson to come to a sure shot conclusion though. But definitely the trouble of opening the siding doors all the time has reduced considerably.

IceMan_4000
28-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Mcyom or Mayekawa now has the Thermo-Shutter and it looks solid. if you are concered with energy I would really consider looking into it.

and no I do not work for Mycom

smpsmp45
29-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Thermo Shutters is a good word & we shall definitely have a look at it

absolute-zero
29-01-2008, 10:40 PM
We recc always on refrigerated delivery vans and trucks -those with multi drops in city as opposed to long distance or point-to-point single drops.

Drivers everywhere hate them - you find them torn, twisted in knots etc- as they tend to slap you in face a bit as you enter / exit truck, along with wetting/ greasy stains on your clothes. :eek:
We launched 12v/24vdc motorized version as option but it never took off after (good) trials.

Curtains are useful and they save energy plus aid in temp recovery after openings.

How to educate cold store workers, warehouse foremen and drivers ?.... it's an ongoing struggle I fear. :rolleyes:

regards
T-P

Yeah curtains have there disadvantages, as to gettin torn or notted up getting slapped in the face, going in and out of the refrigerated body, but cthese curtains still are not good insulation but will allow the air to travel the normal course when unit running. Good risk management practices say top shut the unit off when doors are to be opened, and as far as educating the enduser in this, I think everyone struggles with it.

I have actually taken the risk away by installing electronic door switches, once the door is opened the unit shuts off, soon as it closes, unit comes right back on, I think that all units should come equiped with electronic door switches for optimum unit operation, decrease fuel consumtion, decrease defrost cycles, decrease ware and tare, decrease cross contamination through the forces of convection, increase product shelf life. Its simple math for a set of 150 dollar door switches installed.

The rewards for local multi distibutor would be paid back in the first week of operation.

RDoor Switches are a great ROI.

Regards A-Z