PDA

View Full Version : Tube staggered/squared

bersaga
05-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Dear All,

I think that we have digressed from the original query which was tubes and have somehow reached to fins.

In-line as opposed to Staggered tubing patterns are one thing. And , staggered and flat fins are something else.

The former is to do with tube sheets - the pattern of holes on the tube sheets define whether the tubes are in-line or staggered. ( In-line is also known as 'squared' due to the outline made by any 4 tube hole s-seen from the side)

The staggered pattern has obvious heat transfer benefits but only a slight advantage over the in-line but this is at the expense of a slight increase in air pressure drop and a higher bypass factor.

Why in-line was used I have no idea!

:rolleyes:

Andy
05-01-2003, 06:36 PM
Hi, bersaga:)
cost would be my theory why square tube layouts are used. Also flooded/pumped cooler have deeper coil blocks, so the air will lose more pressure going through the coil, hence if the coil allows the air to flow straight without having to turn less pressure drop is created.
Also the application, the square coil is used on industrial application, these tend to be larger, with bigger room dimentions and incresed air velocities for rapid blast chilling and freezing.
Regards. Andy

bersaga
06-01-2003, 12:56 AM
Makes sense Andy

Thanks

Bernard:)