PDA

View Full Version : Single Duct...... AC or heat pump?

Argus
03-10-2007, 10:41 AM

I do like spotting daft anomalies and officials getting involved in what they don't understand is often fertile ground.

For your amusement, I spotted these two descriptions of a well-known domestic cooler recently.
This needs some careful thought – especially the heat-pump version.

“Single-Duct Air Conditioner
Air conditioner for spot cooling in which the condenser intake air is introduced from the space containing the unit and discharged outside this space.”(Quote from EN 14511 Part one – definition of a single duct air conditioner.)

No problem there. A ‘single duct’ A/C units is another name for one of those portable things on wheels that you buy in DIY outlets and hang a flexible duct from an open window to discharge the condenser air. They’re coming out of China in container loads these days.
To my knowledge, they’ve never been available as a reverse cycle heat pump using that arrangement of hoses, though some are available with electric heaters as an option.

So, how does that become this…………….

“In a single-duct unit the evaporator (in heating mode) air intake is introduced from the space containing the unit and discharged outside the space.”(Quoted from the Carbon Trust ETPL heat pump criteria for “Single Duct” heat pumps).

The heat energy source is also the destination.
Not quite the perpetual motion machine, yet, but getting there……

The amazing thing is that you can get a tax break (UK only, I’m afraid) if you can locate one of these gadgets.

monkey spanners
03-10-2007, 03:23 PM
You are meant to put it outside in heating mode with the hose coming into the room......

Argus
03-10-2007, 04:17 PM
You are meant to put it outside in heating mode with the hose coming into the room......

I never thought of that.

It would certainly explain why they have wheels. :D

Brian_UK
03-10-2007, 11:29 PM
"Put it outside - on wheels"

Some toerag would nick it before your room had warmed up. ;)