PDA

View Full Version : Carrier ducted unit

Andy AC
29-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Hello guys, got a problem with a large packaged all in one ducted a/c system (condenser ducted). System has been running best part of 2 years no problem until yesterday - water pissing out of middle of unit- condenser fan section. Both drains are clear, I have trapped them as well but it didn't make any difference. Water seems to make its way out of the condenser tray and into the fan section and leaks out through the casing and through ceiling down onto very annoyed lady sat at desk below:(
Unfortunately the unit is a pig to get at and the shop has the worst ceiling grid in the world and most of it will have to be removed to sensibly get to anything. Has anybody got any suggestions/advise before I start ripping the shop apart monday morning.

Andy

superswill
29-09-2007, 05:44 PM
I think the best thing to do is get up there and have a good look,id be checking:

drip pan
filters (if its a pig to get too have they been done)
motor/belts
all covers on right

then pouring water in to see just what is going on

rickysmithrs
29-09-2007, 07:06 PM
I have had this problem before.
It was due to the condensor fans sucking the condensate into areas that arent protected by a drip tray.
I had to adjust the fan speed to allow maximum efficiency but minimum leaking.
As this unit was being stripped out we did not investigate further.

BigJon3475
29-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Air velocity of the system at the return?

Andy AC
01-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Got back to it today finally found cause of the problem -drip tray, wasn't airflow or duct problems like we first thought. Well its not actually a proper tray, just a couple of bits of angled sheet metal spot welded to the floor of the unit and siliconed up afterwards - crappy design. Problem is that the water is leaking into 2 areas, the condenser fan area and also through the spot welds in the floor into the outer casing.
I don't want to drill out the spot welds because A) I can't get to most of them, access is a nightmare, I'm dangling off the top of my stepladder and B) I don't want to risk causing more problems later on such as rust etc.
Can anybody think of a product that is water resistant that I could either spray or paint over the existing seals. I can't get a silicone gun in to the offending area so it would need to be spray or paint.
I have called Carrier and left messages with them but so far they haven't called back with any suggestions so any additional help/advise muchly appreciated.
What would you guys do?

Andy

monkey spanners
01-10-2007, 07:45 PM
If you can get to it, i've bodged things up with flat roof repair paint before or gutter sealant.

superswill
01-10-2007, 10:10 PM
If you can get to it, i've bodged things up with flat roof repair paint before or gutter sealant.

we had some really reallly old carrier 4 way cassettes with leaking drip pan that where no long available,one coat of that and hey lasted two years before being ripped out

BigJon3475
01-10-2007, 10:43 PM
"Foster® 40-60™ Drip Pan Coating
Foster® 40-60™ Drip Pan Coating has excellent long-term resistance against the detrimental effects of harmful fungus, algae, and bacteria, and will not support their growth on the coating’s surface. It will also provide vibration dampening. Foster 40-60 has the water resistance and low water vapor permeance normally found only in solvent-based coatings. It can be used in high humidity or wet environments. It will greatly retard moisture vapor penetration and inhibit corrosion of metal surfaces.
Foster 40-60 may be placed in service after a minimum of 96 hours dry time. It dries forming a strong bond to galvanized steel, aluminum, or mild steel surfaces.
Foster 40-60 contains no asbestos, lead, mercury or mercury compounds."

http://www.fosterproducts.com/default.aspx?PageID=details&pid=185

I have used Fosters for other reasons and they make a good product.

imac
04-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Andy,

What is the model number of the unit? I maybe able to help.

Regards

Ian

Andy AC
05-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Hello Imac, the model number is 50YZ04879 the other number on it, probably serial number is 074E00642.
If you can help, I'd love to hear from you.

Andy

Andy AC
23-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Black bituminous paint is the stuff to use! Makes a right mess everywhere and stinks, but two coats of it has cured me problem:)

Andy