PDA

View Full Version : Fanblade pullers?

monkey spanners
27-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Had to change three 120w fan motors on monday and got to thinking that a fanblade puller would be a usefull tool to have. Does anyone have one they would recomend. The Yellow Jacket ones at the Rac show looked a good job but they wouldn't sell one of the stand?? Got to buy through the wholesalers, forgot all about them until i needed one:rolleyes:

Cheers Jon

Brian_UK
27-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Wouldn't a regular pulley extractor work or am I thinking about a different shape than that required?

monkey spanners
27-09-2007, 07:32 PM
I havn't tried a regular one. The Yellow Jacket one will also do the big barrel type blades apparently, not that i work on them, but you can't have too many gadgets.... or a big enough van to put them all in lol

http://www.yellowjacket.com/HVACRProducts.asp?t=HVACR&l=9&c=134&p=288

Jon

US Iceman
27-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I used to use a three-prong puller which worked very well. I also had something called a bearing puller. This split into two pieces and went behind the bearing. Then you used the puller to pull the bearing off the shaft.

Worked quite well. Best if you polish the shaft a bit before trying to remove the devices.

Andy W
28-09-2007, 08:10 AM
The problem with pullers depends on the type of blade you have, you run the risk of pulling the blade off the boss. What I always do is remove the grub screws, spray WD40 in the holes and around the shaft, get an adjustable spanner on the flat of the shaft and rotate the blade, with plenty of WD40 it will come free, if the end of the shaft is rusty, dress it with some emery cloth first, if the blade will not shift as happened to me last week on a condenser fan on a Prestcold R750, I cut the shaft off the motor, dress the ends with a file, and knock then through with an hammer, if you mushroom an end, dress it with a file, it is actually quicker than it sounds.

monkey spanners
28-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Thats how i ended up taking them off with some wd40 and oil from one of those zoom spout things from nrs. Had to get the molegrips on the boss on the blade to get it to turn at first. All the bolts on the yellow fan gaurds were rusty as the (second hand) units had been 'stored' outside in a field prior to fitting here. After four hours on a windy farm round by the milking vacuum pumps (complete with festery stale milk, oil and what the cows left behind i thought theres got to be an easier way lol.

Havn't fitted one of those big prestcold motors for years, often had those light blue painted ones with the wires you could't tell the colours of:mad:

Cheers Jon

frank
28-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Went out to service 4 Fujitsu R22 cassettes yesterday that seemed like they had never been stripped down before - just filter bashed.
When it came to stripping out the fan scrolls, they were all seized on - couldn't budge any of 'em. Ended up breaking one of the plastic scrolls so now I've got to replace it at my cost but still can't get the old one off! :o

Problem is that the bush in the centre that fits on to the fan spindle is metal in the centre with a rubber surround that connects to the scroll, so as you pull down on the blade you just end up compressing the rubber before it applies any force onto the spindle.

You can't get a hammer in :( or a long screwdriver to give some leverage and there isn't anywhere to get a 'puller' in either.

They got the better of me and I ended up partially cleaning the coils through the scroll - not ideal I know but I'm still thinking how I can get 'em off.

WINJA
05-11-2007, 05:07 AM
I carry normal 2 and 3 leg pullers , but I usually use these automotive ball joint separators,especially good for tight spaces like those old fashoined prestcold condensing units, they need to be used with a spacer

nh3wizard
05-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I never thought of using a ball joint separator, I'll have to give it a try