PDA

View Full Version : New to the trade

geoffg
26-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi

I'm currently serving in the Royal Navy as a marine engineer. I'm leaving soon and am looking at a few jobs as a field service engineer. One of the companies is Trane and the other i don't know yet. (the recruitment agency wont tell me yet). Do you have any advice and what is an average wage for this type of job.

cheers
Geoff

The Viking
26-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Hello and welcome..

The wages are normally set for the individual.
How much a marine engineer would get in the A/C or refrigeration field will depend on your training and personality.
Also where in the country you decide to settle down will be a major factor.

Good Luck

Psychro
26-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Hi Geoff

I am also ex Royal Navy (MEA1) but left in 1987 at age of 30 so things have changed a bit since then - on both sides! When you say you're a Marine Engineer I guess you are either full time served MECH1 or MEA1? Have you completed the Fridge Adqual at HMS Sultan (assuming of course that HMS Sultan is still open)?

Regards
Psychro

geoffg
28-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi psychro

I am a CMEA, i have done the fridge adqual and have the C&G for fridge tech and gas handling. I'm about to go for an interview with Trane in Cumbernauld. Any thoughts/comments on them.

cheers
Geoff

Psychro
28-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi Geoff

As Viking has already pointed out, a lot will depend on the geographical area you're working in and to some extent whether you're working with commercial or industrial systems.

You know the Tiff saying "Jack of all trades, master of none" - well that really does apply to HVAC and I guess you will probably spend the first few months hands on training. I expect your pay will be lower during that time.

When I left RN in 1987 I was planning to be a R & AC service engineer but was advised by a number of a/c engineers to forget it, as the real earning potential was in a/c design, sales & marketing and ex-RN engineers usually did well in this. I took their advice and joined my first company as a sales engineer (mostly engineering, less hard selling!).

My salary was reduced to 60% of what I was earning in the RN and it took a further 2 years to catch up. Since then my pay has always easily exceeded RN pay - so I guess their advice was good advice!

Good luck anyway!
Regards
Psychro:D

Lowrider
29-09-2007, 09:24 PM
If indeed you want to be a service engineer, then I would say go for Trane!!!

I work for Trane in Holland and I love it there!