PDA

View Full Version : cap tube systems

Fire and Ice
26-09-2007, 05:18 AM
Hi everyone,
I am new to this type of discussion - even though ive had an account for some time- I have 9 plus years of experiance in commercial refrigeration and hope to be a good resource and also receive some info -which I have already-from the techs who have been at it for a long time. Sorry I'm not as active as I could be, I have a busy time in the summer months -being a northerner - trying to salvage every warm day I can. I am always open to discussion though. Anyway, is any one good at diagnosing captube systems? I seem to score on the m 100% of the time- though I wish there were some definte way to diagnose them quickly. Know what I mean? A restriction also looks like a low charge.Low capacity may have somewhat close to preferred pressures-yet not reach temp until captube is replaced. That is time consumming so I was wondering If there is a better solution like an automatic expansion valve or a quick diagnosis?
Thanks Fire and Ice

750 Valve
02-10-2007, 12:59 PM
That is time consumming so I was wondering If there is a better solution
Thanks Fire and Ice

I know exactly what you mean then I found the answer - semi hermetic comps in plantrooms with electronic controls. :D
Mate I remember the days of cap tubes and cafes, I reckon it made me a better mechanic for doing the hard yards to find the problems, the little systems are usually the ones that are the hardest to fault find and require all your skills as a fridgy where as you walk into an alarm from a big plant telling you exactly what the fault is, you just have to use some common sense to stop it from happening again.

chillyblue
02-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Hi

i know what you mean, a couple of things i check are

1. Compressor amps, check the compressor rating plate for the FLA or RLA if the amps are high or near the compressor rating plate, could mean its blocked, if the amps are low it could be short of gas.

2. condensor subcooling, if there is loads of subcooling the cappilary could be blocked at the liquid is backed up in the condenser, if there is very little or no subcooling, it could be short of gas.

3. I know you can't very often but fit a HP gauge if you can, the head pressure should indicate the charge

4. reclaim and recharge to manufacturers name plate, then you know its not short if the problem still exist it must be blocked.

Hope it helps

CB