PDA

View Full Version : Unique cooling system Port-A-Cool replaces air conditioning

LC-Europe
25-09-2007, 04:39 PM
This mobile coolingsystem cools places where the normal air conditioning is ineffective or is too expensive. Furthermore the Port-A-Cool does not consume much energy.

The principal of the Port-A-Cool is very easy, by evaporation of water the Port-A-Cool produces cool air. This evaporation leads to a decrease in temperature of between the 6 and 26 degrees.

The advantages of the Port-A-Cool
The Port-A-Cool offers various advantages compared to the traditional air conditioning:
- the system works on places where an air conditioning cannot be used or is too expensive
- you can keep the doors and windows open
- the cooling system is environmental friendly and energy efficient. The energy consumption is ten times as low as the regular air conditioning.
- The Port-A-Cool is maintenance friendly and easy to clean
Easy to use, the machines are mobile so can be put where you want to beat the heat

monkey spanners
25-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Just the job for server rooms then:cool:

Josip
25-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Hi, LC-Europe :)

............................normal air conditioning is ineffective or is too expensive. Furthermore the Port-A-Cool does not consume much energy.

The principal of the Port-A-Cool is very easy, by evaporation of water the Port-A-Cool produces cool air. This evaporation leads to a decrease in temperature of between the 6 and 26 degrees.

The advantages of the Port-A-Cool

The Port-A-Cool offers various advantages compared to the traditional air conditioning:
- the system works on places where an air conditioning cannot be used or is too expensive

- you can keep the doors and windows open

- the cooling system is environmental friendly and energy efficient. The energy consumption is ten times as low as the regular air conditioning.
- The Port-A-Cool is maintenance friendly and easy to clean
Easy to use, the machines are mobile so can be put where you want to beat the heat

Nice, so I can install it in my backyard and have a cooling for complete house:eek:, maybe it has a never ending battery too, to reduce energy consumption;)

Best regards, Josip :)

NH3LVR
25-09-2007, 11:20 PM
This mobile coolingsystem cools places where the normal air conditioning is ineffective or is too expensive. Furthermore the Port-A-Cool does not consume much energy.

These are nothing new. My parents had one. But in most cases they are not ideal.
They do not work well in high Humidity Areas. The water does not evaporate, and the cooling falls off dramatically.
They also raise the Humidity in the space which can be quite uncomfortable.
They do find some usage in places like Arizona in the USA, where the Relative Humidity is usually low.

The Viking
25-09-2007, 11:50 PM
What always gets me when people are starting to talk about evaporative A/C systems is the bacteria....

Legionella and so on......

Let's face it, how many of the guys pushing these will tell the customer about daily cleaning regimes (I bet it's not in the front of the brochure) and if they do, how many customers will carry it out....

(My daughter went to a party in the local sport/activity centre 2 yrs ago, when we had that hot summer. In the hall where they had the bouncy castles, they also had 6 of these types of units and their air intakes was covered in dust.
The Viking being The Viking, approached the manager to discuss the matter, who promptly claimed that they were looked after by the company that sold them, as they came in twice a year to service all AHUs on site.
Needless to say, he had quite a chock after we downloaded the units' manual from the web, not only should they be deep cleaned and disinfected every 100 running hours but they should also have treatment pills added to EVERY water top up AND on the last page of the manual it stated "not suitable for public buildings or areas of high occupancy".......)

Brian_UK
26-09-2007, 12:00 AM
So that sums it all up then really.

They are cr*p aren't they?

NH3LVR
26-09-2007, 01:13 AM
So that sums it all up then really.

They are cr*p aren't they?
I was trying to say that in a nice way.:D

750 Valve
26-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Looks big like a swampbox on wheels :( - air conditioners rock! :p

Brian_UK
26-09-2007, 11:55 PM
I was trying to say that in a nice way.:DSOrry, I was short of time ;)

star882
03-10-2007, 04:01 AM
What always gets me when people are starting to talk about evaporative A/C systems is the bacteria....

Legionella and so on......

Let's face it, how many of the guys pushing these will tell the customer about daily cleaning regimes (I bet it's not in the front of the brochure) and if they do, how many customers will carry it out....

(My daughter went to a party in the local sport/activity centre 2 yrs ago, when we had that hot summer. In the hall where they had the bouncy castles, they also had 6 of these types of units and their air intakes was covered in dust.
The Viking being The Viking, approached the manager to discuss the matter, who promptly claimed that they were looked after by the company that sold them, as they came in twice a year to service all AHUs on site.
Needless to say, he had quite a chock after we downloaded the units' manual from the web, not only should they be deep cleaned and disinfected every 100 running hours but they should also have treatment pills added to EVERY water top up AND on the last page of the manual it stated "not suitable for public buildings or areas of high occupancy".......)
Maybe a hybrid approach is in order? Use it to cool an A/C condenser that then is used to cool the building. Then use a high voltage arc to generate ozone to keep the bacteria under control.

smpsmp45
03-10-2007, 11:57 AM
We use desert coolers ( air waher systems) here in India. Work very well in dry places. Those were available for almots 15 years.

Brian_UK
03-10-2007, 11:38 PM
We use desert coolers ( air waher systems) here in India. Work very well in dry places. Those were available for almots 15 years.Quite, there is no new news from the original poster.:(

Josip
04-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi, :)

Quite, there is no new news from the original poster.:(

He must be busy selling units around:rolleyes:

Best regards, Josip :)

HallsEngineer
05-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Holy grail again eh? no system so far (touch wood) is as energy efficient for large duty than your run of the mill compression system so dont worry.

Pooh
07-10-2007, 01:08 AM
NO!! but I am working on it and I will rule the world,
oops! alter ego got out again, but sreiously we have an old fashioned version in department that basically is a fan in a box with a quantity of straw which you pour water on and the air is blown over it. It works about as well as a window rattler in a conservatory.

Ian

Chef
07-10-2007, 11:24 AM
There is always a place for this unique technology and it may not be in a box in your front room.

Many Africans use a mesh of leaves, twigs and leaves .... etc in a small dog kennel size structure that they spray water over from a bucket hoisted up a tree with a pipe/nozzle thing. Dam clever really.

Years of trial and error have these structures working with good efficiency. The evaperation and hence air circulation keeps the internal area cool enough to preserve butter and cheese and makes the milk usable for cerials in the morning. On the basis they dont have piped in electricity it is the only solution and one that works very well. Try a tented safari and you will be a fan for ever.

Chef

sapper
15-10-2007, 02:58 PM
the army looked at these, briefly, and quite rightly desided against them. great if all you want to do is cool signals equipment and computer equipment in iraq, but that is it. too much work involved and the kinda places that these work best is the kind of place where water is like gold and cannot to be wasted.

jinxycat
24-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Just the job for server rooms then:cool:
LMAO........i just about spat out my coffee

duke
25-11-2007, 09:22 AM
ISAAC, (intermitent solar amonia absorption cooler),where are you? the solar ice co has a village sized amonia absorption unit that claims 1000 kilo of ice/day...that is 1/2 ton of a/c, right? the heat to seperate the water/amonia mix, (via selective distilation), into water and anhydrous amonia is from a solar trough. ok, so the btu in vs. cooling capacity out is not as good as vapour compressions Kw in cooling out, but if you are burning coal to get the kilowats to drive the compressor AND paying money to buy the kilowats, then efficiency be dammed. instead of ice chill some glycol and circulate. the unit size looks like a good fit for rooftop apps.(think thermosiphon-cold down, hot up). i am in vietnam, (nha trang) and would very much like to get a system like this up and running; start just sell ice for tourist trade, vendors here pay $1 US per kilo. eventually get more units and SOLAR AIR CONDITION a beachside smothie hut.

only problem is solar ice co is defunct or giving me the runaround ... but i have seen pics of these and read some about them on the sustainable village site. I HAVE MONEY TO SPEND ON THIS!!! HELP PLEASE?

Saturated
30-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Evaporative air conditioning is quite popular over hear, as it is hot and mostly dry, but yes, you can kiss the cooling goodbye when the humidity gets up. We call them "swampies" in the trade. Cleaning is usually carried out on a quarterly basis, the water "dumping" from the basin on switch off, that said though, I've seen some shockers, hence I think, the nickname.

Evaporative cooling is also used to extend the life of large corroded or poorly performing air cooled chiller condensors, simply built onto the outside of the coil with a gap to avoid splash and the pump switched by a HP switch. Can give a 10K reduction on air on.

rajgulati
30-01-2008, 09:29 AM
This is suitable for low humidity area. In this regular cleaning is neceessary